1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HP Motherboard power adaptor broken

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BecwarFuture, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BecwarFuture

BecwarFuture Thread Starter

I have an HP laptop and the power adaptor piece cracked. I have been trying to find the piece online. Are there any harder to find places that I might try?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Can you perhaps describe it with any more detail? Including the laptop model?

"power adaptor piece" could be a number of things. Is it part of the power adapter brick, or part of the laptop itself?

When you say "motherboard", could we assume its the power input socket?

3. BecwarFuture

Sorry :) Its connected to the motherboard, the round power connecter plugs in to it. The laptop model is a HP ze1000. I was looking online at digikey and I thinks its called a dc power jack, they had some that would fit, but they all point the wrong direction! :mad:

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The DC socket is soldered to the laptop motherboard, so timely repair is essential.

The persistent use of a broken socket will result in the destruction of the motherboard in many cases.

If you search this forum, the topic has come up several times recently.

5. BecwarFuture

I have taken apart the computer for the time being; to measure the power jack and repair it(if I ever find a replacement piece.) HP suggests I buy a new motherboard, they do not sell individual parts. I searched online, my husband looked too, but he thinks I might just be stuck buying a new MoBoard. I read some of the other posts, but they all seem to have found their pieces. Where do I look for a piece that is so unpopular?

6. Cosmic

Cosmic

First I would try to take a photo of the area in question and post it here.

If it is what I think it might be, we used to repair connectors using the same stuff used to make false teeth. The stuff that makes the pink gum part.

It may be possible to Mold or pot something that will work.

Difficult to know exactly what is involved without a picture. I assume the actual wires, metal parts of the connectors are intact and what is required is to build a new "Connector ", as in the phenolic part of it.

Might be a bunch of repair kits around to do this. Might be possible to mold it into the board. A good photo goes a long ways.

I have more than my share of experience fixing a bunch of "Impossible" repairs on connectors. Everything from Nuke gear to radar. It really isn't that difficult with the right stuff. Something like a laptop would be a challenge just because the parts are so small but the general approaches are the same.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

We assume the DC socket is soldered onto the motherboard. You need to be aware that these motherboards are multi-layer so some skill and care is needed when replacing the socket to avoid terminal damahe from unsoldering/resoldering.

If on-board sockest are not available in any form, I would consider having a "line socket" version on a few inches of suitable cable hanging out the back. Cheaper than a new motherboard. That may mean you need to change the plug on the DC lead from the power adapter as well, but that is straightforward.

It's hard to suggest where you might go to source the generic part(s) as we have no idea what country you are in.

8. Cosmic

Cosmic

9. BecwarFuture

The pictures are of the piece that is cracked as well as the backside of the mo-board (behind the piece). I found part # PJ-102AH from CUI Inc., and it was ALMOST perfect, but the opening would face the wrong direction. Help!

Attached Files:

10. BecwarFuture

I am in Fairbanks, Alaska & we don't have many computer shops at all. My husband says that if I can find the part, he can put it on for me (since I haven't soldered anything since Tech Ed). I just can't find it.

11. Cosmic

Cosmic

Excellent, one Atta boy (or girl). Good photos.

Next question, is can you plug it together so it works electrically??? Is it possible to remake the plug / jack connection??? Are the "Wires" intact???

If so, you should be able to find a compound to just remold the connector into a blob. Doesn't have to be pretty. You may be able to use the board edge to make it strong.

The only consideration is to find a compound that is structural enough and non-conductive.

You really want to avoid soldering at all on these boards if at all possible, will be my general drift for openers.

Does the computer still work, if you can plug it back together?? If so, the general approach is just to glome together the connection with a compound to make it whole again.

If it has been destroyed electronically / electrically then it is more serious.

12. BecwarFuture

Electrically, it works... but we tried gluing, and it's cracked so bad it didn't really help.

13. BecwarFuture

I found this site, I think the plug on the far right is what I want. 9.50 seems expensive for 1 plug, but I can't find it elsewhere. Any site suggestions?

14. BecwarFuture

15. Cosmic

Cosmic

Excellent

Couple of ideas for openers.

You can just go to the dentist and get some of the stuff they make false teeth out of. Stuff I used came in a tube, two part junk, put together and mix, only need a dab.

You try to put the connector together, mold around it to build a structure. Use the board edge, make it longer than normal. Can just do one side first, build up in layers. Going over traces shouldn't be problem.

Doesn't have to be pretty, can look clunky. Just has to fit back into the case as required.

Basic problem now is finding a compound in your area to attempt it. I am suggesting the dentist because I have used it before and they should have some. Plus should understand exactly what is required. Might get a dental tech to help you. Toothpicks work well to place the stuff. Dental tools even better.

Type of problem, you bounce around until, you have the right stuff local.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/307592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice