1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HP notebook memory upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cassidy0111, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cassidy0111

Cassidy0111 Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavilion xf125 notebook, and would like to upgrade the memory. It has 384mb now. I don't know how much memory it will hold, or if it's even upgradable anymore since it's so old (2002 I think). The reason I want to upgrade is because it crashes pretty easy. I was thinking more memory would help solve this problem. Any advice would help... but no need to suggest I buy a new computer because I really don't use it all that much to justify the cost of a new one. :)

I also need a new battery for it, but don't really want to spend a lot... so looking for an inexpensive one. Not sure it's possible to find such a thing anymore. Yes, I have looked on HP's website and they don't have either memory or batteries for it.

Thanks for any helpful advice you can offer. :)

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Im amazed that it runs xp at all with that little of ram.To run xp you should have a minimum of 512 mb of ram and 1 gb works even better.The fact that the laptop is 10 years old which is amazing for a laptop i dont think its worth putting any money into it.But if you want to keep it you can take it somewhere and see if they can find the correct ram modules for it and maybe a battery.There are a lot of good used refurbished laptops out there you dont have to buy a brand new one unless you choose to.

3. Cassidy0111

Here's what I have....

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name PAVILLION125
    System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    System Model HP Pavilion Notebook PC
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1000 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Insyde Software JA.M1.31, 9/25/2002
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Locale United States
    Total Physical Memory 384.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 27.66 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 1.41 GB
    -------------------------------------

It seemed strange to me too that it has so little memory. Maybe you're right, I should just look into getting a refurbished one instead of putting any money into this one. Problem is I can't justify spending the money it would take to even get a refurbished one. My desktop PC is refurbished and has worked great for over 7 years. :)

Still wondering if I can install more memory... where to find it, and what that might cost?

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I would think any place that sells and repairs computers would certainly be a good place to start.If the computer is that old it may be hard to find the correct ram modules for it.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion xf125 laptop/notebook.

The product specifications for it aren't listed, but the dates in the driver downloads section indicates it's about 9 - 10 years old.

It came with 384 MB of RAM pre-installed.

It supports a maximum of 512 MB and uses PC133 modules.

The only upgrade option you have is to add another 128 MB and max it out to 512 MB.

Here is the section on how to remore/install RAM modules.

I'm guessing it has a 128 MB module in one slot and a 256 MB module in the other slot.

Here is what a 256 MB PC133 module looks like and what it costs at the Crucial site.

----------------------------------------------------------

A compatible replacement battery will probably be hard to find and will probably cost more than that laptop is worth.

I think it's time to retire that laptop and replace it with a good refurbished one.

----------------------------------------------------------

6. Cassidy0111

Thanks for the advice and the help links! :)

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------

When Windows XP was released in September/October 2001, most consumer level laptops/notebooks that came with it pre-installed had only 256 - 512 MB of RAM.

It ran decently for basic computing functions, but things have changed since then.

Computing functions and programs and websites have gotten more and more memory-hungry.

As old as that laptop is, you're lucky the hard drive hasn't died yet.

-----------------------------------------------------------

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  9. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Ive never bought anything from newegg but from what ive heard they are very reputable.I have bought quite a few used and reconditioned laptops in the past and have been very satisfied so far.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've bought a refurbished Dell Latitude D630 laptop and a Dell Latitude D830 laptop and a Dell OptiPlex 755 Minitower desktop from www.newegg.com during the past year.

The D830 came with a full version Windows XP Professional SP3 disc and the 755 came with a full version Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 disc.

You can't beat that for less than $300.00(including shipping) apiece. :)

------------------------------------------------------------

11. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Thats a very good price indeed.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1062900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice