1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HP Pavilion Media Center HD is dead.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Modine5, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Modine5

Modine5 Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavillion Media Center. Hand me down from my son. Three years old. The hard drive crashed and after days of discussion with Sam, Jack, Cheryl et. al. in India, they sent me Recovery CDs. That did not work and it was determined that the hard drive was dead. Of course the parts salesman encouraged me to buy a new computer. I need to know if the computer is worth saving. I was hoping just to buy a hard drive because it has many extras that I would not purchase again for myself. Does it make sense to revive a computer that is 3 years old? HP quoted $300 for a new HD.

2. xtreampb

xtreampb

sure you can buy a new hard drive and it not cost you $300. now it depends on what size you have. it would also help a lot if i could get the specs of the comp.

3. bigbear

bigbear

Can you explain in a bit more detail what happens when you switch the pc on.
    Can you get it to POST?
    Also model and number would help

4. oliver.d

oliver.d

Agreeably, $300 is too much for a new hard drive. It's hard to rely on a support desks diagnosis of what is wrong with your PC. But if the hard drive has failed, it will depend on how it has failed that will determine if the data is salvagable. Ultimately, the data can be got back if you go about repairing the disk properly.

5. Modine5

Modine5 Thread Starter

Here is more information on the computer. I am not concerned about recovering anything from the hard drive. I send things I need to my other computer. I have all of the software
    that origianlly came with the computer and the recovery discs HP sent. I was hearing a clacking sound which I assumed was the fans. I cleaned the fans and it still made the
    noise. I guess it was my hard drive which should have told me I had a big problem. I did
    a hard shut down and after that it was gone. I was able to run the recovery to about
    50% and then it would stop. Now I can't get anything when I turn it on.
    Part number from HP support (I think) H9180696 but that may have been for the software.

HP Pavilion Media Center M380n
    160 GB HDD Intel Pentium 4
    512 MB DDR SDRAM Windows XP
    DVD RW/ CD RW NVIDIA FX 5200 AGP 8X graphics card
    128MB DDR video memory TV out & DVI support
    7 in 1 media card
    Thank you for your help.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It's a 3 GHZ CPU, well worth another HDD.

Take out the HDD, take it to your local parts store and buy a replacement of the same or larger capacity.

Fit it and boot from the recovery CD's, reinstall the system.

Update Windows and reload the programs and you will be good to go.

7. Modine5

Modine5 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your reply. I don't know enought about this stuff to make a wise
    decision. I'm delighted to know that the CPU is worth saving. You just saved me about
    $1,000 or more.

8. xtreampb

xtreampb

i think that any processor that is 2.5+ GHz is worth saving unless overclocked to WAY TOO OLD to go into any mobo

how did you get ur pentim 4 to go 3 GHz or is it overclocked cause my celeron D is 2.53 GHz which reminds me i forget how to overclock and what rules should i go by when overclocking

9. Modine5

Modine5 Thread Starter

I can't help you. I don't know that much about this. I don't even know what overclocked is.
    After I posted the specs on my computer 3GHz is just what someone else told me I had.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice