1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HP Pavilion zv5348rs new hard drive not recognized by BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SlowHnds, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SlowHnds

SlowHnds Thread Starter

HP Pavilion zv5348rs (zv5000 series) had/has 60gb (original) hard drive in it. Running Windows XP SP-3 I want to change it out as there are bad sectors on it and it's making some strange noises

I tried replacing the HD with an HP (Seagate) 100 gb hard drive. Using the same Jumper Pin Settings as on the 60 gb

The hard drive is NOT recognized by the bios.

I can boot from cd rom, or USB but no way can I find a HD (other than the generic USB)

I put the 60gb back in and it is detected and will boot back up.

Any help appreciated.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The jumper settings may be different on the replacement drive, you should check the label or the Seagate site for the correct Master(MS), or Single, or Cable Select(CS) settings - you can also try CS instead of MS or vice versa.

Also, do you know for sure this 100GB drive works?

3. SlowHnds

SlowHnds Thread Starter

Yes the drive did/was working, it was removed from a HP that had the HD upgraded, formatted NTFS before removal.

I've now tried all 3 options, Master (no jumper), CS (bridge the bottom two pins) and Slave (side two pins. The BIOS is not recognizing the drive, nothing shows in the BIOS settings at all, unless I put in a USB memory stick. Then it shows generic usb.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could try updating the BIOS. HP tends to only list the latest BIOS with the latest fixes only but they may have improved hard drive detection in prior releases. Latest is here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...s&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=434894&sw_lang=

The laptop is old and drive detection with PATA drives wasn't the greatest in that time point when manufacturer's were pushing higher capacities.

5. SlowHnds

SlowHnds Thread Starter

BIOS is presently F.45

When I removed the USB drive and deleted it from the BIOS settings boot order. Saved the settings and rebooted I received the following:

For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Enternet Controller V2.13 (020326)

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

and it would loop back through those 3.

On reboot I went into BIOS settings and the drive was recognized. I ran the HDD self test and it passed. Saved settings and rebooted and got the 3 error messages above.

Tried to boot through the USB installation drive and got the same error.

I changed the boot order and put Installation CD in the DVD/CD ROM drive and boot to the install. I deleted the partition, and redid it and I got two 0 and 1 with 0 being 100MB and 1 being 93.3 gb.

Formatted and now installing files.

My guess is that it's not a bootable installation through USB as it is showing up under Hard Drives. In the BIOS there is no setting for USB.

I'll update when I get further into the install or it's complete. Fail or success.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and software site for the HP Pavilion zv5348rs laptop.

According to its product specifications section,, it came with a 60 GB 4200 RPM hard drive and Windows XP Home Edition SP2 installed, so it's obviously several years old.

BIOS F.45(which that laptop already has) was released in 2005 to fix an issue with recharging the battery, and is the last BIOS update listed for it.

---------------------------------------------------------

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Realtek PXE message indicate its trying to boot from the network card. You can turn that off in most computers in the BIOS setup, it might be a separate option to disable the Ethernet boot ROM or PXE or take it out of the boot order or move it to the bottom of the boot order.

That 100MB partition is normal if the drive was partition with Windows Vista or 7 but generally doesn't created by a Windows XP installation.

8. SlowHnds

SlowHnds Thread Starter

Final results. Fully installed System 7. The only hitch in 7 was the audio driver had to be removed. The driver downloaded from HP - fully extracted to a folder then maually installed in compatibility mode. Everything is now working.

Result is that the HP Pavilion zv5348rs operating system has to be installed from a DVD/CD

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1069959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice