1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HP Power Supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MSDirector, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MSDirector

MSDirector Thread Starter

Just bought a new HP 6200 desktop with a 320W PS. I swapped a GeForce 430 from my old PC to replace the onboard Intel graphics and was about to swap the OCZ Fatality 550W from the same machine to the HP. Low and behold, the HP doesn't have the 24 pin connector and it appears that the HP PS is somewhat proprietary (as are many Dells). My question is: can the 320W handle the NVidia 430 plus the DVD RW that I installed in addition to the DVD drive. Can I also install a USB3 PCIXP card?

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  3. C141

C141

The OCZ Fatality has a 20 Pin Connector. Have a good close look at the Main power Lead. Part of it [4 Pins of the 24] are removable.

Have a look at the attached pic.

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      18.9 KB
      Views:
  4. MSDirector

I couldn't see anything resembling a 24 (or 20+4) pin connector, just some 6 or 8 pin connectors - Is this possible or am I just not looking hard enough. Power supplies usually are pretty generic except for EMachines, and Small Form Factor Desktops. This is a full size HP Desktop. I seem to recall that even the mid range NVidia 430 should be paired with at least a 450W PS.

5. C141

C141

The 20 + 4 Pin connector is the biggest one coming off the OCZ. In the attached pic, it's the one in the upper left corner. This allows use on motherboards having either 20 or 24 pin connectors.

6. replay

replay

swap the OCZ Fatality 550W from the same machine to the HP. Low and behold, the HP doesn't have the 24 pin connector

can u explain this????? do u mean the hp motherboard has a 20 pin

7. MSDirector

The HP MB is a bit crowded and I didn't remove any of the drives but I couldn't see ANYthing resembling a 20 OR 24 pin connector. I am well aware of all of the OCZ cables, including the 20 + 4 main one. Although I didn't measure the space in the HP case, it certainly looked smaller than the OCZ dimensions and would require some jerryrigging which I am loath to perform in a new PC - ie bending metal, etc. I thought it would just be an easy swap, but I was sorely disappointed and am just running now with the NVidea 430 and the included 320W PS. I just hope that some built in tolerances will allow the card to function.

8. C141

C141

The HP has either a 20 pin or 24 pin connector on the motherboard. I have not researched which because the OCZ Fatality will support it no matter which.

9. MSDirector

I will look again tomorrow. I can't see why you wouldn't be correct but I may have been a bit anxious and not looking hard enough. i already had a bad experience with a Dell and a SFF HP which had a foot long 3" square PS for which a company wanted $75. I wired in a generic PS which now sits OUTSIDE the SFF PC, a real "Rube Goldberg" contraption. I am on EST and will watch the 11 O'clock News, take out the dog, and then sleep. Hopefully the 320W HP PS, holds up a few more days.

10. C141

C141

It's possible that the 320 may do the job & go considerably more than just a few days, but I'm more in agreement with Noyb that it would be a bit of a push.

11. replay

replay

i just purchased one of those psu's for a dell recently and it was only $25 incl' shipping.......... vendor is in pic!!!

Attached Files:

12. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Personally, I wouldn't trust the HP power supply as far as I could throw it with anything more than the exact hardware spec that the machine was shipped with.

I have never come across a motherboard without a 20 or 20+4 connector (that doesn't mean they don't exist though :) ) as that is the common industry standard. I would have another look, check right at the edge of the board as the connector could be hidden behind a drive bay or something, but I personally believe it should be there somewhere.

13. MSDirector

Well, to all of you who might be following this thread, contributing or not: I am a somewhat savvy PC user/builder/upgrader AND I have searched the little 8x10 HP6200 Business Pro MB for a 24 or even a 20pin PS connector so that I could swap in my OCZ 550W Fatality (from my old Opteron PC). The HP board is very handsome and well made with clips for the wires, etc. and nothing is blocking anything. The existing 320W PS has 2 wire clusters - one going to a 4pin connector and the other to a 6 pin connector and a small white 4 pin (forgot what they are called). I am amazed and have never seen anything like this on a MB, although in my previous posts I mentioned trouble with an EMachine PS (very small), an HP SFF proprietary PS (my "Rube Goldberg" contraption, and even a Dell with an extra 6 pin connector. I hope that the 320W holds out with my NVidia 430 because I am sure that the a proprietary 500WHP price would be substantially more than the name brands. I will contact HP Support and verify this. The PS is marked "high efficiency" which is their better one. I don't even think I will put a USB3 card in one of the slots so as not to tax the PS.

14. FupDuck

FupDuck

I've just had a look at the support manual for what I think you PC is and I think you are right, as there doesn't seem to be a 20/24 pin PSU connector.

The following link is to the support manual I found on the HP site. Page 1 shows the PSU, with no visible 20/24pin plug and on page 2, there is a picture of the motherboard. If you zoom in, there doesn't appear to be a 20/24 socket either. The 6 and 2x4 pin sockets you mention earlier are there.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02741919/c02741919.pdf

I'd guess it might be tricky finding a compatible PSU for that system.

15. MSDirector

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice