1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HP ProBook 4520s WiFi comes up connected but limited access.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ThisGuyBryan, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ThisGuyBryan

ThisGuyBryan Thread Starter

Just recently my HP ProBook 4520s, running Windows 7 32-bit, has had trouble connecting to the internet through WiFi. I've been reading into it and looking around the net, but to no avail. It shows my home network and connects, but with limited access (no access to the net in my case).

I did a system restore in hopes that it would fix the problem, and I got access for all of 30 seconds before it went back to limited connectivity. I manually updated the network card drivers, and still nothing. It's leading me to believe that its my router blocking access (Netgear WNDR3700). I haven't had a problem up until recently and its only with the laptop. My desktop PC, game consoles, and television can all still access the internet, with the desktop connecting through WiFi as well. I checked the router logs and noticed several DoS attacks and was thinking this may have something to do with it (and possibly laptop being infected?).

Here's network information from ipconfig

The laptop is mostly used for school, minor a/v editing, and browsing the net. I've been trying to figure it out and hoped to figure it out myself (rather embarrassing since I just started school for computer networking haha), but I feel like I'm going in circles and hoping to not have to do a fresh install of Windows.

If any other information is needed, I'll get it up as soon as possible (keep feeling like I'm forgetting something). Thanks in advance for any help with this situation.

-Bryan

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try a dynamic connection for the wireless:

To configure a dynamic IP address on your Windows Vista or 7 computer:

1. Click Start.
    2. Select Network, then Network and Sharing Center, and click Manage network connections or Change adapter settings from the list of tasks.
    3. Right click the connection of interest and click Properties.
    4. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) from the list and click the Properties button.
    5. Select Obtain an IP address automatically.
    6. Select Obtain DNS Server address automatically.
    7. Click OK.
    8. Click Close.

Disable encryption on the router and try to connect. If successful you can re-enable encryption and can probably reconnect. If so, you can also go back to a static IP configuration if desired.

3. ThisGuyBryan

Tried setting it for dynamic and it still connects with limited accessibility, and still no access to the web.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you connect successfully by ethernet?

5. ThisGuyBryan

Wired connection doesn't work either.

edit:
    Well after setting dynamic, I realized I hadn't restarted the laptop so I was still connecting using the static IP. I restarted the laptop to let it select the IP and so far its working (I'm typing this from here now). Thank you so much for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

7. ThisGuyBryan

Ok thanks, again I really appreciate it. I don't know if marking it solved will close the thread, but I was wondering if you could tell what the problem was as soon as you looked at it? What exactly was the problem with the IP? Sorry, just curious, and if you don't have time totally understand.

Thanks again,
    Bryan

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Marking the thread solved does not close it, just makes it more convenient for those members looking to help with unsolved ones and other people who are looking for clues in solved threads. :)

I'd like to say I could tell instantly, but that wouldn't be true at all. A static IP is always suspicious when we have no idea if it is correct for the network, and is especially suspicious on a wireless adapter that is used on multiple networks. Advising to try a dynamic connection is kinda an automatic first step as it eliminates one variable. I actually had low expectations that was the issue here, so I also gave my second near-automatic step. :)

9. ThisGuyBryan

Ok, thanks. Yeah, I was lost and didn't even think about switching back. I've been using the static IP for about a year now and never had problems so assumed the worst.

Thanks again for the help, it is greatly appreciated!

-Bryan

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/995091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice