Solved: HP Webcam Driver Fails To Install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

metalroper

Purchased an HP Deluxe Webcam KQ246AA to use with my Dell 5100 laptop, with Windows XP Home Edition O/S, SP3, Intel Pentium 4, 2.66GHz CPU, and 512 GB RAM. Loaded the HP supplied software CD, and then plugged the cable into a USB 2.0 port, but it failed to connect to the webcam. The hardware wizard gave the following message: “Problem installing the hardware: HP Deluxe Webcam KQ246AA. An error occurred during the installation of the driver. The data is invalid.”

Have tried multiple times to delete and reload the software. Located the driver by clicking on Computer, System Properties, Hardware, then Device Manager tabs and found the driver under “Other Devices” which shows a yellow question mark. Is this the proper location for a device connecting to a USB port? Please advise. The General, Device Status tab contains the following message: This device is not configured correctly (Code 1). To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver. I’ve tried to reload according to the prompts, but with no success. What’s the solution?

Welcome to the TSG forums.
When you installed the web/cam did you disable the firewall & anti virus. Sometimes, they can interfer with the installation of hardware.
Try removing it, then install the software before attaching the camera. See if this helps.
Post back and let us know how it goes.
Vicks

metalroper

No, but now I've deleted and reinstalled all software with both firewall and anti-virus protection turned off as suggested. Same results, failed to install webcam driver. The driver shows up in "Other Devices". Is this the correct spot for this this USB plug and play device, instead of in a USB controllers location? Also, what are the other possibilities? Thanks for your time. Hope there is an answer other than return and get another webcam.

If you open my computer, does it show up as a removable item?
Oh, be sure to reactivate the security programs..... sure don't want to get a bug of some type.
Vicks

metalroper

Not sure which "My Computer" you mean. When I right click, the one on my desktop can be deleted, but the one accessed through Start and "My Computer" tabs cannot. Instead, it allows you an option to "Show on Desktop". I did reactivate my firewall and anti-virus protection. Thanks for your quick response.

Still not sure if the device driver self-placement under "Other Devices" instead of the "USB Controller" location is right. What do you think? What other solutions does anyone suggest?

Click on start, click on My Computer. This should open a window listing the different drives on the computer.
If you wonder about the USB controller, remove all USB components attached to the computer, go into device manager, right click on the USB controller, choose;properties, remove, then reboot the computer and let Windows find/reinstall the drivers for it then reattach the USB components and see if that helps.

Vicks

metalroper

Hey Vicks,
Thanks for all your help. The problem turned out to be malware bugs infecting my entire system ever though I have virus and adware programs on board, they didn't protect me. After days and days of trying to resolve this problem with both the Webcam HP and Dell Tech Support guys and my broadband service, I decided to reformat my entire computer and reinstall all my software, which took several days since I'd never attempted to do this before. What an adventure for a novice! Got everything working now, but still have one small issue. I get an error message after boot up that I'm trying to resolve, but webcam problem is in my rearview mirror, thank goodness.
metalroper

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online