1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: hpqthb08.exe .net framework initialization error .net framework: v1.1.14322

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by masemd, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. masemd

masemd Thread Starter

I have the task of resolving a .NET Framework issue on a friends HP laptop running Windows XP. It seems that whenever the system starts up, an error message is displayed as follows:

hpqthb08.exe - .NET Framework initialization error. To run this application you first must install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework: v1.1.4322

I have tried to run MS updates and they fail due to this issue and when I try to remove it from the laptop I get a query for a missing file: s867460.msp. I've tried to remove it in order to re-install it thinking that the file hpqthb08.exe is somehow corrupted. However all de-installation attempts fail seeking the location of this s867460.msp file. I cannot locate a download for this file and at the moment have no idea where to turn.

Any ideas?

- David

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Since hpqthb08 is almost certainly an unnecessary part of the bloatware that comes with HP machines, the best method is to turn it off before it starts. Go Start>Run and in the Open box, type msconfig then hit Enter. Click the StartUp tab and untick that file and any others you don't need a boottime, which is more or less anything except your firewall and anti-virus. Click APply and OK and after the restart, tick "Don't show this message again" and hit Enter.

3. masemd

masemd Thread Starter

I will try your suggestion and let you know how I make out.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    David:

hpqthb08.exe is associated with HP Photosmart Premier or HP Image Zone or some other HP-related printer software.

It definitely doesn't need to auto-load and run in the background. Uncheck it as advised in Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - Startup(tab).

----------------------------------------------------------------

Do you know how to post a HijackThis log here of that computer?

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. masemd

masemd Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on that hpqthb08.exe file. I thought is was HP-related but couldn't understand why the OS was complaining about it upon startup. Honestly I'm trying to fix a friends laptop and I found out that he recently re-imaged his machine! It's my assumption that during the re-imaging some files were not completely restored or that corruption was present in them. In any event, when I get home from work tonight I will try the MSCONFIG solution.

:)

6. masemd

masemd Thread Starter

Well I was able to get rid of the startup error by following the instructions outlined in MSCONFIG. It is coming from HP Photo Smart (or something like that) as indicated also (hp-related issue). Now whenever I try to run the HP Photo Smart S/W I get the error:

hpqthb08.exe - .NET Framework initialization error. To run this application you first must install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework: v1.1.4322

So I am unable to run the HP Photo Smart S/W and since this guy gave me a laptop that he only has rebuild disks for (instead of doing the right thing when he bought it and get all of the S/W distribution CDs, he just opted to do a image build for restoration/re-imaging the system) there is no way I can remove and re-install his HP Photo Smart. The weird thing is that the message complains about .NET and when I try to upgrade .NET it fails and because he re-imaged the laptop, whenever I try to un-install .NET it complains about requiring a build disk with specific files - one of which I cannot locate anywhere: s867460.exe.

Any suggestions?

7. masemd

masemd Thread Starter

Well I was able to get rid of the startup error by following the instructions outlined in MSCONFIG. It is coming from HP Photo Smart (or something like that) as indicated also (hp-related issue). Now whenever I try to run the HP Photo Smart S/W I get the error:

So I am unable to run the HP Photo Smart S/W and since this guy gave me a laptop that he only has rebuild disks for (instead of doing the right thing when he bought it and get all of the S/W distribution CDs, he just opted to do a image build for restoration/re-imaging the system) there is no way I can remove and re-install his HP Photo Smart. The weird thing is that the message complains about .NET and when I try to upgrade .NET it fails and because he re-imaged the laptop, whenever I try to un-install .NET it complains about requiring a build disk with specific files - one of which I cannot locate anywhere: s867460.exe.

Any suggestions?

8. masemd

masemd Thread Starter

Oops! I meant to say s867460.msp

9. masemd

masemd Thread Starter

Oops! I meant to say s867460.msp

10. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

Well, there is a netframework removal tool. I haven`t used it, so read all about it so you understand exactly what it does. May be if you completely remove .netframework install you have, you could start all over with a clean slate, and new install of the netframework you need. The download is found here, about 1/3 of the way down the page you will see, Download .net framework cleanup tool 6.0.3790. Here it is: http://www.aboutonlinetips.com/repair-remove-and-uninstall-net-framework/

11. masemd

masemd Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll give it a try and let you know how I make out.

12. masemd

masemd Thread Starter

Ok. I have done that and it works, but still getting .net framework error now when accessing HP PhotoSmart.

13. masemd

masemd Thread Starter

Don't know how to post a HijackThis log here of my computer. Could you elaborate? Thanks!

14. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go here and click the green icon to download and save HijackThis 2.0.2.

Close all open windows first, then install it in its default location.

Start it and run a scan - which will take 30 seconds or less.

Save the resulting log in Notepad.

Return here, then copy-and-paste the entire log here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

15. masemd

masemd Thread Starter

Let me explain...

This was a HP laptop that was recently re-imaged from the distribution image disks and everytime the user logged in the following message appeared:

The user also was running AOL V9 and received the following error when running AOL:

Adobe Flash Player Active X Setup failed to install. For troubleshooting see www.adobe.com/go/tn_19166

From the help I received this was indicated to be a file associated with HP PhotoSmart which was installed on the users laptop. To resolve this error I followed the suggestion I received as follows:

Go Start>Run and in the Open box, type msconfig then hit Enter. Click the StartUp tab and untick that file and any others you don't need a boottime, which is more or less anything except your firewall and anti-virus. Click APply and OK and after the restart, tick "Don't show this message again" and hit Enter

Although this resolved the startup error message after logging in, HP PhotoSmart threw this same error when I tried to run it and exited. So I decided it was an issue with .NET Framework v1.1. I tried to remove .NET Framework but since the laptop was build from a image, it wanted certain files from the disk to complete the uninstall. So I was given the following link to download and run a executable to un-install .NET Framework:

http://www.aboutonlinetips.com/repair-remove-and-uninstall-net-framework/

Now, after unzipping the files I decided to follow the readme.txt. BIG MISTAKE! The syntax for DOS was hidious and failed. So what I did was simply doubleclick on the un-install file cleanup_tool.exe. This ran to completion successfully. Then I selected windows update from IE and re-installed .NET Framework v1.1 and successfully installed it. Checking HP PhotoSmart I found it to run without error, AOL came up without error and the laptop boots and when the user logs in he no longer gets any error messages.

However MicroSoft indicated a number of updates to apply, I just did a manual update and only selected .NET Framework and ignored the rest. The user can decide if he wants to do the updates as his laptap was horribly slow and I wasn't getting asked to do updates, only resolve the error messages.

I want to thank the following users on this site for all of their help and assistence:

IMAP49
    flavallee
    Saga Lout

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/906897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice