1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HTPC Build - Ideas/Help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carrothersju, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carrothersju

carrothersju Thread Starter

Hello!

I'm considering building a home theater PC with some extra holiday cash. My roommate's been anxious to cut cable television as an expense, and switch instead to a Hulu plus membership, Netflix, or something more cost effective.

Before I get into the nuts and bolts, here are some things I'm looking for:

- HDMI: Very important. My roommate's television is a 40ish inch flatscreen 720p television, and I'd like the computer to have HDMI outputs on the graphics card.
    - Price: Important. Cheaper the better, looking to spend $300-$500. Suppose I can be flexible here.
    - Games: Marginally important. Girlfriend plays WoW, I kicked the habit. It'd be a neat surprise to her if I installed it to the HTPC to play it on a big screen, though!
    - Size: Not very important, as I can hide even a large case. I suppose the smaller, the better, just in case I had to move it.

My first action was looking at barebones kits. I came up with this one, which has provided a nice launchpad:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7108918&Sku=B69-0285

That system has things I like, and it has things I don't care for. If I went for something like that, I'd probably be investing in a nicer graphics card, one with an HDMI out and some power. If so, which graphics cards should I be looking at? Here's one I'm considering: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6023358&CatId=3670

I'm not adverse to buying the parts independantly of one another. I simply used the barebones as a starting place. Unfortunately, I get a little lost with what I want/need above and beyond that.

This is only the second computer I'd be assembling totally from scratch. If you've got any good ideas or suggestions, or have completed a similar build recently, I'd love to hear your input!

Cheers!

2. carrothersju

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's a HUGE case for an HTPC. A true HTPC is small, quiet, and blends in with the rest of the home theater setup. What you've linked to is a very cheap desktop computer.

4. carrothersju

Again, that barebones system was only a guide for parts. I realize the case is huge. Case size isn't an issue to me, because I can hide it behind my entertainment center very easily.

Smaller cases are preferred, yes. But in my case, they aren't necessary.

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

The term "HTPC" sure has degraded over the years from referring to a specific appliance to handle media...

...to simply hooking up any old desktop to a TV and parking one's self on the couch with a mouse and keyboard.

I don't even bother with the distinction any more. Call it what you like, I guess.

6. carrothersju

Would everyone prefer it if I renamed the thread to accurately reflect the content we're discussing?

7. carrothersju

Bump. Still looking for some pointers on this system, aside from discussions of size.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If all you want to do is stream Netflix and Hulu Plus, get a Roku box for $60.

http://www.roku.com/

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice