1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HUGE lag spikes in games only?

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheBral, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheBral

TheBral Thread Starter

Hey, I have a great pc speed test score: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2448763224.png
    My ping is 9, but as soon as I go onto ANY game, it immediately starts to go up to 500-1000. This happens every 45 seconds. Please help.
    P.S: Does it make a difference if my wireless antenna is right next to a wall? If you can help, Thanks!

2. ajkane

ajkane

There are two causes of this:
    1) The server you are playing on and it's geographical distance to you, if the server is really far and has a less then decent internet connection then this can happen because the slightest hiccup for the server is huge for you.

2) WiFi Data loss: If you are running with cheap WiFi Hardware you can get data loss at times of high usage. Check your distance from your router and what revision of WiFi you are using and what type of security, some security features can impede performance.

3. TheBral

TheBral Thread Starter

I have a Netgear R600 router, a Linksys dual band wireless N-PCI adapter, and Comcast/Xfinity internet service. I'm about 50 feet away from the router.

4. ajkane

ajkane

ok that is decent hardware, try updating drivers for the linksys adapter from the cisco website.

5. TheBral

TheBral Thread Starter

Didn't work

6. ajkane

ajkane

ok, do you know how to disable the QoS packet scheduler in windows?

7. TheBral

TheBral Thread Starter

No, what's QoS?

8. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

What are your system specs?
    Maybe your system isn't able to run the game sufficiently.
    the "every 45 seconds" is why I'm wondering, it sounds like a buffer flush interval or some kind of scanner in the background.

Edit: unless it is only your online ping lag and the games run fine offline. Then I'm not sure. :D
    could still be an antivirus scanner or something I guess.

9. ajkane

ajkane

QoS is a packet scheduler built into windows. Do you know how to manually change your IP Address?

10. TheBral

TheBral Thread Starter

@Super-D, it's not my computer, i'm 100% sure its the connection. And how do I find out if it's an antivirus?
    @Ajkane, no I don't, do you think that will work?

11. ajkane

ajkane

As for the antivirus, what antivirus do you use? And for the connection got to network and sharing settings, then click change adapter settings. Right click on your adapter and click properties. Finally highlight QoS Packet scheduler and click uninstall.

12. TheBral

TheBral Thread Starter

I have Norton.

13. ajkane

ajkane

Try disabling it. Did you do the QoS thing?

14. TheBral

TheBral Thread Starter

Alright, did the QoS thing and disabled norton, I think it's fixed! Thanks to both of you!

15. ajkane

ajkane

It's no problem! Glad it's fixed! :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice