1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Humming power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bendoc91, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bendoc91

bendoc91 Thread Starter

Hello,
    First of all, thanks a lot to all those who are taking their time in order to read about my problem and are attempting to help me find a solution:)

About 8 months back I moved (Had to take a plane) and refused to ship my computer so I took the ram and HDD out of the computer, carried them with me and had the rest in my suitcase.
    When I got here, I connected my computer and a very loud buzzing noise started. I gave the computer a little tap and it stopped.
    Ever since, from time to time (every few days, nothing that bothered me enough to do anything about it) it would start buzzing again and so I'd tap it and it would be gone for a while.
    A few days ago, the humming noise started again and a tap only weakened it but less than a second later it came back to the same obnoxious loudness and now I have gotten to the point where I have to pound on my computer for quite a while in order to stop it (If I tap it with my finger it doesn't do anything anymore, I literally need to bash it in) sometimes it stops for a few minutes and sometimes for days.

I am almost positive that the source of the noise is the PSU (fan probably) and I was wondering if there was any way to fix it or make sure that replacing the fan will fix it. I'm a little short on finance at the moment which is why it's important to me to make sure that I won't waste my money.

Thank you very much,
    Ben:)

2. bendoc91

bendoc91 Thread Starter

Well, I guess no help is needed after all, a friend of mine found a fan in his house (ancient piece of plastic) and after much molten plastic and the smell of O3 filling the air, I haven't heard the loud noise yet but my copmuter has only been on for an hour or so, thanks anyway everyone:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice