1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I am stumped. One PC on my home network can no longer access the internet.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tidalcloud, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tidalcloud

Tidalcloud Thread Starter

I just cannot figure this one out. I have a pc wired to my home network. Internet connection has been fine and remains fine for all other networked pcs - wired and wireless. The pc can be seen on the LAN - I just cannot get out to the www. All of this changed following an attempt to update XP to SP3. The upgrade failed - I suspect because the partition I have set aside for my c drives is running low on space (about 900mb). Following this failed attempt I was no longer able to get out the net. The router logs have an entry that might correspond to my attempts:
    Blocked incoming TCP packet from 65.54.193.249:80 to 192.168.2.2:1244 as RST received but there is no active connection

I have my router assigning a fixed ip and I can ping the router and see other network pcs, a networked printer etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tidalcloud

Anyone?

3. jdean

jdean

Can you ping your gateway? Can you ping your DNS server?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Then do this.

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

5. Tidalcloud

Turned out to be something rather simple. While I know the install of SP3 failed, it must have gotten far enough because SP3 was in my add/remove programs list. I removed it and all is well with the world again. Something to do with SP3.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, if SP3 failed, it's something to do with the existing configuration. One issue is running firewalls and AV products during the installation, that will cause the installation to fail many times.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice