1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I can access my router from 2 address's (why?)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Duckman69, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Duckman69

Duckman69 Thread Starter

i can access my router from the default gateway listing when i type ipconfig/all & i can also access my router from the ip that comes up from this site...

http://compnetworking.about.com/gi/...t=12&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http://checkip.dyndns.org/

i think that site might be for wireless computers to access is there router address... is there normally 2 address's to access form? wireless & hardwire? im just curious ... any help would be cool thank you

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That appears normal, it happens here too. However, if you go from another site on the Internet, you won't have the same luck unless you have Remote Administration enabled on the router.

3. Duckman69

Duckman69 Thread Starter

can you better explain, sorry i dont understand... i wont have the same luck with what? thanks for the help john...

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can't access the router's setup pages from an Internet address unless Remote Administration is enabled.

5. Duckman69

Duckman69 Thread Starter

ooo, no thats not what i was trying to say on hte 1st post, sorry for theconfusion... what i meant is if you click that link it tells you and ip address for your router but its different from the ip address i get next to default gateway when i do ipconfiog/all... just thought that was odd being able to access the router from 2 completly different ips
    Current IP Address: 67.85.80.224
    Default Gateway : 192.168.11.3

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A router is performing as a router only if it has an IP address on the two different networks (usually referred to as WAN and LAN) that it is routing between. Typically, and in your case, the WAN address is public and the LAN is private. I can access my router's login page from my LAN using either of those addresses; and I think that's typical.

The purpose of the public IP address is to allow "the internet" to find you. The purpose of the router's LAN address is so that devices, wired or wireless, on your LAN can communicate with the router.

7. Duckman69

Duckman69 Thread Starter

i was thinkling something simmilar, tahnk you very much terry for clearing that up for me

8. Duckman69

Duckman69 Thread Starter

hey terry any chance you know of a way to figure out your WAN without the site i have listed above? doesnt show under ipconfig/all it would be cool to have a way to figure it out incase that site ever goes down, although i guess its not that important if i can access the router threw the LAN connect... or maby there are times when its better to know that for setting up wireless computers i dont know... not big in wireless connetions all my comps are LAN

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Another site is http://www.whatismyip.com/

I just look at my router's WAN address, accessing the router via its LAN address.

EDIT: You can mark this 'solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice