1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I can listen to music but not DVD or U tube

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sassybees, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sassybees

sassybees Thread Starter

Good Evening everyone
    I have a recently re formatted laptop. I can listen to downloaded music ( from backed up files ) BUT I cannot hear anything when on You Tube or when atteptmting to play a DVD, yet I am 100% sure it all worked the night we re formatted this beast. I really need sound, can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks in anticipation.:eek:
    Vista Home

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Hi and welcome

For YouTube, you may need to redownload the Adobe Flash Player.

As for the DVDs...do they play in a specific program? There may be a codec missing. Or digital audio playback may be disabled on the drive.

3. sassybees

sassybees Thread Starter

me again
    I have the latest flash player. In fact I have the latest everything going LOL Java, shock,media 11...etc
    I still have no sound when viewing U tube or playing a DVD. I have downloaded the codec lite pack. No difference. When opening an email with sound it opens in media player and works fine. Downloaded music plays fine. If you have any advice with something being disabled could you step by step tell me what to do or look for. I am runnning Vista home. Thanks in advaNCE.

4. Cheeseball81

Click Start , type device into the search field, and then select Device Manager from the list.
    Grant permission to continue, if prompted.
    Click the plus (+) sign next to DVD/CD-ROM drives .
    Right-click the name of the optical drive, select Properties to open the Device Properties window, and then click the Driver tab.
    Click Disable , Yes to accept the change, and then OK .
    Click Enable , OK , and then close the Device Manager window.
    Perform a sound test .

5. Cheeseball81

Due to lack of response, I'm closing this thread. If you need it re-opened please PM me or one of the other Mods.

Anyone else with a similar problem please start a "New Thread".

6. Cheeseball81

I reopened your thread Sept 23rd as per your request. We're still here if you need assistance.

7. sassybees

sassybees Thread Starter

Hello everyone, Thanks for the replies. I now have sound with U tube and playing music I still have the problem of my PC not playing new DVD's... plays the old ones ok but not recent ones, its like its not even in the DVD player.
    Thanks in advance

8. Cheeseball81

Are these home made DVDs? Store bought DVDs?

Were the old ones burned on this computer or an older computer?

9. sassybees

sassybees Thread Starter

These are purchsed DVD's. The older ones are fine to play but not the new ones...weird. They are all purchased not burned. Storm about to hit here, so I may not be onm for a while...Thanks for your help

10. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Are you talking about movie DVDs rented at the video store? You need the proper codecs to read them. You'll need a codec for MPEG-2 in order to watch movies with the Windows Media Player.

Download the K-Lite Codec Pack and enjoy! :)

11. sassybees

sassybees Thread Starter

ok have insalled the codec lite pqck. Nothing. I was wondering if it may be my cd/dvd burner. ( I know its a dvd playere as I have watched movies). I put the DVD in and it just clicks like it is trying to find something and nothing happens. The desktop just stares back at me as the dvd just clicks away. I then tried a printer program disk and it reads it just fine. I am ready to use this PC qs a football!.

12. Phantom010

I think your DVD drive might be too old to read the more recent DVD types, like the DVD+R. Yours might only be able to read DVD-R.

13. sassybees

sassybees Thread Starter

It can read them, well I should say it DID read them. This PC is only 3 years old. AQlso to, it wont read photos ( on a disc ) This is baffling me.

14. Phantom010

Perhaps it's a problem with your burning software? Which one are you using?

15. sassybees

sassybees Thread Starter

I dont use a burning software. The DVD are store bought and the pics are JPG seen on this PC a thousand times. Here is another quirk. Yesterday for no reason U tube worked!! Yah....today it wont! I have everything updated like flash etc. Im ready to give up. Ive tried everything

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/948639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice