1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I can not shrink my partition D:

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Spiritmonger, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spiritmonger

Spiritmonger Thread Starter

Hello,

My problem is:
    On BOOT C: is not enough space ( 28 GB of 30 GB are free, no programs or data installed), so I decided to shrink partition D: ( 20 GB free, of 220 GB) by 10 GB, and then to add it to C: .
    but when I try to shrink D: by using Vistas PartitionManager there comes an Error: A new Window opens, named Logical Volume Management, which says Serious Error(not more!).

I also tried other ways to clean up C:, e.G. deleting shadowCopies for system recovery, disabling automatic system backup and I also use CCleaner to delete all the temp datas.

I hope you can help, Google.com had NO answer.

thanks, Spiritmonger

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Open windows explorer, right click on drive c, choose properties, then tools, then check for errors. It will offer to reboot and do it. Reboot and it will do the checking. Repeat the same for drive d.

3. Spiritmonger

thanks, it works ^^

4. Spiritmonger

and how do I add the free 10 GB to C:?
    the dialogue to extend C: is inactive
    I think it is because of the fact, that the 10 GB unused space are behind D:
    How do I cut some memory in front of D: ?

5. Spiritmonger

I found a solution,
    after trying GParted Live CD and Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite 2010 Demo,
    I used Partition Wizard Home Edition.

After trying GParted, I found out that it does not work with Vista(but I do not know why).
    The Paragon Demo, did surprisingly nothing.
    When I finally found and used Partition Wizard, which is free ware, it worked ^^

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/961297