1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I can only connect to Google.com

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BP127, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BP127

BP127 Thread Starter

I've been having this problem for almost a week and it is driving me crazy. All over the internet I've seen people reporting this problem but it seems like a different solution is required in every case. I've tried everything that has worked for other people but to no avail. If anyone can provide any insight as to why my computer is acting like this please, PLEASE, please help me.

The Problem: A few days ago I tried to log on to netflix.com and was greeted with a message saying the website was unavailable. I quickly realized that all websites were unavailable except google.com. I could use google to search and would see all the results but clicking on any link at all would result in the same unavailable message. I double-checked all my network connection settings and everything was still working (valid IP, proper DNS, router working fine) so I cannot explain this problem.

My Setup:
    Windows XP SP3, connected to a wireless Cisco Linksys router using a Rosewill USB wireless LAN adapter. Another laptop running Windows XP connected to the same network does not have the problem.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Thorough scanning with AVG, Ad-Aware, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Each program reported threats detected and removed, but the problem continues.

Booting into safe-mode with networking, no change in the problem.

Resetting the router to factory defaults, creating a new wireless network setup, changing wireless network channel (channel 6 to 7), changing wireless network security type (WEP to WPA), updating the firmware on the router, all result in no change to the problem.

Connecting directly to my cable modem via Ethernet, no change in the problem.

Using FireFox and IE Explorer, both encounter the exact same problem.

Flush DNS cache and reset Winsock using windows cmd prompt, still no change in behavior.

Using Windows system restore to roll back to a previous date, no change.

Additional Info:

I've tried accessing websites by the IP address in the address bar rather than domain name, no change, also tried pinging IP addresses using command prompt, only google returns any pings. This suggests to me that it is not a DNS error causing the problem.

My girlfriends laptop connects to the internet just fine using my router and modem. In addition my PS3 can still connect and lets me watch netflix or log into playstation network just fine. HOWEVER, the browser on the PS3 is restricted to the exact same problem as the PC. The first thing I tried to do was use the PS3 to google possible solutions and the same exact behavior occurred. On the flip side my step-son's Nintendo DSiXL can connect and browse the internet just fine. So some devices are unaffected others have the problem.

Also, no other programs on my PC can connect to the internet. Steam, AIM, AVG, Windows update, none of these services can connect to their respective servers. I cannot update any programs and it appears that nothing can reach the internet (save for the browser which only sees google.)

I love google as much as the next guy but the internet is so much bigger. PLEASE somebody help me!

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Use a USB flash drive to copy the following program from a working computer. Then, plug it into the faulty computer.

Please click HERE to download and install HijackThis.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile from the Main Menu.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next reply.

IMPORTANT: Do not fix anything

3. BP127

BP127 Thread Starter

Hello and thank you for the quick response. I'm at work now, so I do not have access to the trouble machine but I will run the program suggested and post the results as soon as I can. What do you suspect is the problem? Do I have some kind of "google virus"?

4. Phantom010

A virus is possible but there are also other things I want to verify in your log.

5. BP127

BP127 Thread Starter

Below is the log file. As a side note my PS3 browser is now working again (for no reason that I can find) so the problem is now exclusive to my PC. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 5:49:23 PM, on 1/27/2011
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal
    Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG10\avgchsvx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgwdsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sony\Content Transfer\ContentTransferWMDetector.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Application Data\SanDisk\Sansa Updater\SansaDispatch.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Rosewill 11n USB Wireless LAN Utility\RtWLan.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\agent\bin\avgidsmonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmsrvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgnsx.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgemcx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG10\avgrsx.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgcsrvx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
    O2 - BHO: HP Print Enhancer - {0347C33E-8762-4905-BF09-768834316C61} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_printenhancer.dll
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O2 - BHO: HP Smart BHO Class - {FFFFFFFF-CF4E-4F2B-BDC2-0E72E116A856} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nView\nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_TRAY] C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ContentTransferWMDetector.exe] C:\Program Files\Sony\Content Transfer\ContentTransferWMDetector.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SansaDispatch] C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Application Data\SanDisk\Sansa Updater\SansaDispatch.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Rosewill 11n USB Wireless LAN Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Rosewill 11n USB Wireless LAN Utility\RtWLan.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
    O9 - Extra button: Show or hide HP Smart Web Printing - {DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgpp.dll
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avgwd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
    O23 - Service: Pure Networks Platform Service (nmservice) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmsrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    --
    End of file - 6883 bytes

6. Phantom010

Ever had Norton on that computer?

7. BP127

BP127 Thread Starter

No I've never had any sort of Norton. I've always used AVG for virus protection and the Windows default firewall.

8. Phantom010

Have you tried looking for an update for your network adapter driver? Or at least, tried uninstalling and reinstalling it?

9. BP127

BP127 Thread Starter

I haven't tried to find an updated driver but I did uninstall and reinstall it (to no avail). I will do a search for an updated driver and see if one is available.

10. BP127

BP127 Thread Starter

So after days of messing with this problem I seem to have solved it (I'm posting from the previously affected computer).

I downloaded the portable version of Super Anti-Spyware and ran it. It found 42 objects that all previous scans had missed. After removing them and rebooting the computer everything is finally working again.

I guess in the end it was some kind of ridiculous malware that was interferring with my internet goodness. Thanks again for the help, Phantom.

11. Phantom010

Can you post the text report of that scan?

Open SUPERAntiSpyware.

Click Preferences > Statistics/logs.

Select your log and click View Log...

Copy and paste the text in your next reply.

12. BP127

BP127 Thread Starter

Since it was the portable version I don't have anyway to see the log file. It didn't actually install anything and it would appear that every time I launch the portable version it starts a new instance... I wish I had thought to grab the log, so sorry!

13. Phantom010

At least, you got it fixed. [​IMG]

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice