1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I can't believe this

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Boothbay, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boothbay

Boothbay Account Closed Thread Starter

I was trying to format a hd that had 3 partitions with my Partition Magic 8.0. All seemed to go well with the proper responses that one gets in PM...finally, you see the list of what is pending and you click on apply. ..another message appears saying it was successful...so what went wrong? I closed PM and then reopened it and saw that nothing has changed...on the screen anyway...so i thought maybe i have to reboot the pc...so i do so..and not only everything remained the same, i couldn't even open Disk Management ( to see if i could get another reading ), which i had no problem viewing prior to my PM move. It said check your Firewall to allow it...Firewall did not prevent me from viewing it earlier..anyway how could one even add "Disk management' with that browse button in firewall?

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Is it a slave drive you are trying to format or the one the OS is installed on?

The firewall should only be stopping internet connections to unauthorised programs, so I am baffled as to why it should have anything to do with Disk Management.

From what I have found on-line the Partition Magic 8 software is no longer supported by the Author. It sounds as if it may have done some damage to the system stopping access to Disk Management. Using System Restore may correct this problem.

Gparted would be a much better tool to use which runs from a bootable CD, be carefull with it though as you could easily wipe out your OS if you choose the wrong partition to format.

Download Gparted from here and follow these instructions.
    I would advise you to make a full back up of all your important data before making any changes, just in case something goes wrong.

3. Boothbay

Boothbay Account Closed Thread Starter

Sorry, mea culpa! I just assumed that when i formatted the partitions, it would also get rid of the letters of those partitions...which it didn't. All is well now after deleting the letters...its been a long time since i have formatted...

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!