1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I can't download programs ot my computer.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Beauzeau, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beauzeau

Beauzeau Thread Starter

My laptop OS is Windows 7 and I'm using Avast free as my antivirus program. I have tried to download several programs which appear to go through the download procedure successfully, but then I can't find the programs on my computer. I don't get any error messages. The latest program I tried to download is Open Office. I temporarily disabled Avast. I tried to download Open Office with all three browsers that I use (IE, Chrome and Firefox) and in each case the exe showed up in downloads. After I ran the exe, I couldn't find the program (I clicked on "Start" and typed in "Open Office," but found nothing. Open Office also did not show up in Control Panel, "Uninstall a Program."

I previously used Cnet for downloads for several years until I started getting malware and it took hours to figure out how to get rid of it. I then switched to Softpedia and successfully installed several programs with no problems, until the current issue where programs just don't show up on my computer. Is it possible that Softpedia is the issue? I have considered trying Source Forge but am concerned about winding up with more malware.

I've tried finding a solution to this problem online, but it doesn't seem to be a common issue. I'd appreciate any advice, but please use simple terms as I am not a sophisticated computer user. Thanks.

2. leepc

leepc

3. Beauzeau

Beauzeau Thread Starter

I originally tried to download Open Office from the official website, but when I clicked to download I wound up on Source Forge.

4. Beauzeau

Beauzeau Thread Starter

I decided to go ahead and risk downloading Open Office from the official website. I was very concerned about doing that because of the alware that was installed on my computer from another website - I thought the same could happen if I installed from the official website since it takes you to Source Forge. Open Office has now been installed successfully on my laptop. I'll install new programs at Source Forge from now on. Thanks, leepc, for taking the time to respond to my question - you were right!

5. zbd21

zbd21

6. leepc

leepc

Glad you fixed it Beauzeau.

Source Forge is a good website not like other free download websites. If the official website is referring to other third party website you can trust trust that website.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1094412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice