1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I cant install 80% of programs and get no error message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RobMidas, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RobMidas

RobMidas Thread Starter

Hello I am trying to sort out my sons PC for him. The problem is that whenever I download something from the internet that has an installer, it does not run at all. I double click the installer and nothing happens. No error message or fail, just nothing. When installing from disc it seems ok. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rob

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. RobMidas

RobMidas Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the reply sorry for the delay.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2047 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 186622 MB, Free - 47513 MB; D: Total - 190771 MB, Free - 190569 MB;
    Motherboard: MICRO-STAR

4. blues_harp28

Your sons Pc does not have an Anti-virus program iinstalled.
    The system may be infected.

See if you can download either..
    Avast
    http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index
    Avira.
    http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

If not - on a good Pc, download to a USB stick and transfer to the other Pc.
    Update Anti-virus program and scan Pc.

We may have to ask for this post to be moved to the Malware Fourm.

5. jesseyoung

jesseyoung

Hi, whether you have tried to install them on safe mode F8) successfully? If not, you can have a try.
    What programs you are attempting to install?

6. RobMidas

RobMidas Thread Starter

Actually I installed Avast for him, I think he turned it off temporarily thinking that was the problem. I will double check with him and get back to you. I have heard though that this problem is not uncommon on Windows XP. Is this true?

7. RobMidas

RobMidas Thread Starter

I had not thought of trying in safe mode. I will try this. The programs are many and varied. The other night I tried to install FS Client so he could join a server on flight simulator with no joy.

8. blues_harp28

Turning on Avast and updating and then scanning the Pc is your next best move.

Let us know the result.

9. RobMidas

RobMidas Thread Starter

No honestly it is not that. the PC has been scanned, defragged and all usual steps have been taken. This may have resulted from an infection but anyhting shown on a scan has been removed and the computer now shows clean.

10. blues_harp28

As asked by jesseyoung -what sort of programs are you trying to install?

Post a Hijack this log - I will get a Trusted Advisor to check it.

Hijack this 2.04
    • Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    • Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
    • Click on Install.
    • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    • DO NOT use the AnalyseThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
    • DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Also post the Uninstall Log.
    Start HijackThis.
    At the bottom right hand corner>under Others stuff.
    Click on Config.
    Then Misc Tools.
    Then Uninstall Manager.
    Save List>paste the list in your next post.

11. BCGreatness

BCGreatness

go into your controll panel, click system check, click hardware, click device manager, right click on "my computer" or whatever you named your computer. click on scan for hardware changes. if anything in the entire list shows up with a ! or ? please copy it down and post here =) also it might not have anything to do with it but just to rule out the possibility, go back into controll panel, system check, click advanced tab, under performance section, click settings, this will open up a performance options window with 3 tabs titled " visual effects", "advanced", and "data execution pervention" you want to click on the "advanced tab" in that section, go to the virtual memory section and press the change button ( the change button should be the only button on that screen ) when that window opens up, take note of your " paging file size (mb). you want to take note of the largest set of numbers. (i.e. 2047-4000. you want to remember 4000. ) armed with that number, in the same window, look down to the section titled " paging file size for selected drive " and make sure you click the dot that says custom. now in the 2 boxes, enter the number you are armed with. after that press the set button. you have now sucessfully extended your virtual memory. somtimes with too low of Vmem you wont be able to install things. again it might not fix your problem becuase you did not mention that you were getting a "windows is running low on virtual memory" error. does not hurt to have max Vmem though and it does speed up your computer a little bit.

12. blues_harp28

RobMidas - I think that you have enough problems at the moment.
    Leave all memory settings alone.
    Let Windows manage how it uses the memory.

Post the Hjt log and we can take it from there.

13. RobMidas

RobMidas Thread Starter

Ok I have an update.

I have just been informed that a friend has recently installed some new RAM and a graphic card and he has been getting the Blue Screen saying hardware may not be installed correctly. Last night I went round and it took 8 restarts of the computer before it was at the very least usable. I had a look at the things installed and i can say that it is a total mess. There has to be about 3-4 different sound drivers, lots of mobile and photo programs - no doubt all set to auto update. Facebook related stuff which he does not use. I looked in the processes tab and it is horrific. Since the computer was bought probably ten years ago, it has downloaded and installed every single auto update and partner tool bars and what have you, it is a 99% wreck. I will not trouble you no more with this problem as the computer needs a total re-installation of hardware and probably is or has been infected for so long with so many different infections that i am suprised it even works at all.

Thanks for the help guys but after speaking to him he does not wish to go through the "hassel" of backing everything up and would it seems prefer to let the thing die a slow and painfull death - taking all his data with it.

I give up.

14. blues_harp28

OK you did your best - thanks for the update.
    It could be marked Solved? - if you feel up to it, at thread tools at the top of the page.
    ;)

15. RobMidas

RobMidas Thread Starter

of course - mybad :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1017103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice