1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I can't open zip files

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by djdk83128, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djdk83128

djdk83128 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 546S, Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit OS. I have only the basic programs the computer came with and a very few free downloads (AVG, malware protection, etc). So I do not have Microsoft Word or anything related.

My problem is, I cannot open zip files. It seems to me, but I may not be remembering correctly, I was once able to do this. For the longest time, it would try to open the folders in Windows Live Viewer and say something like this, "File not supported. I am a robot run by a dumb human being who has no clue what she's doing and so I am going to be as ornery as possible."

So I finally tried to research it and see if I could figure it out. I found this thread: and did what The_Oracle suggested. Instead of working, I got a window that said, "The module "C:\Windows\system32|zipfldr.kll" failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specific path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files. The specified module could not be found." I realize now that that was a thread for Windows XP 32 bit and may not work with Vista.

After I did that I started getting a message that said, "Installer Name param is missing." ?????? The what of the what is what????? So next I tried downloading the 7-zip from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/ even though someone said that the newer Windows didn't need help with zip files. Still doesn't work and now I am thoroughly sick of computers!

Please help!!!!

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

How are you trying to open the zip files?

Are you extracting the content?

How to Zip or Unzip Files and Folders in Windows Vista

If no luck with the above instructions, you might need to restore Vista's default zip file association:

Download ZipFix.

Save the fix to your desktop.

Double-click it to merge it to the registry. Note that you need to be an Administrator to apply this fix.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

3. djdk83128

djdk83128 Thread Starter

Neither of these suggestions were helpful, sorry! :(

For the first suggestion, I can't even get past the initial download, so it really doesn't matter how I'm opening the files.

For the second suggestion, when I clicked the link, it just took me to a page of text. It didn't matter if I highlighted the text or not, I didn't get anything that remotely suggested I could open it with another program. My options were: Reload, Save as..., Print..., Translate to English, View page source, View page info, Inspect element. I did try to see if I could find it in the Save as... option, but no luck or I have no idea what I'm looking for.

PLEASE HELP!!! I am getting so frustrated with this!

4. Phantom010

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it (without opening it) and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

5. djdk83128

djdk83128 Thread Starter

At the risk of sounding completely stupid here, to be clear, a text file, by definition, is a FILE full of text, right?

I AM NOT GETTING THIS!

What I am getting is a WEBPAGE of text! When I RIGHT CLICK on the text, my ONLY OPTIONS ARE: Reload, Save as..., Print..., Translate to English, View page source, View page info, Inspect element.

I DO NOT SEE ANYTHING THAT SAYS "OPEN WITH..."!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I am so frustrated. All I want to do is open a simple zipped jpeg file and I cannot.

6. Phantom010

That's 'cause you open the file. Do not click on the file to open it. Instead, right-click it!

7. djdk83128

djdk83128 Thread Starter

Boy am I stupid or what. Thank you. That fixed it! I blame it on the newborn screaming in my ear! ;)

8. Phantom010

Great! (y)

Give a kiss to the newborn for me. :)

9. djdk83128

djdk83128 Thread Starter

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice