1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] I can't stand-by my computer???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by computer_pet, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computer_pet

computer_pet Thread Starter

Hi have Windows XP Home, and when I try to put it into Stand By mode it comes up with an error.

"System Standby Failed:
    The device driver for the "Easy internet Keyboard" device is preventing from entering standby. Please close all aplications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver."

Also I have a Logitech Cordless Keyboard if that matters

2. Dan O

Dan O

Standby is not really meant for a desktop.

Standby allows you to conserve power when you plan to be away from your computer for only a brief period--perhaps a few hours. Unlike Hibernation, information in computer memory is not saved on your hard disk. If there is an interruption in power, information in memory is lost. Before putting your computer on standby, you should save your work.

Standby is used mainly for conserving power, particularly battery power in laptop computers. Standby turns off your monitor and hard disks, placing your entire system in a low-power state. When you return to your computer, it quickly comes out of standby and your desktop is restored exactly as you left it.

What are you trying to accomplish by using it?

But if you insist the problem can be caused by the Atmhelpr.sys driver, which is loaded by Adobe Type Manager version 4.0. You can remove Adobe Type Manager from the system using the Add/Remove programs icon in the control panel.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

This is a problem that has faced many others by the info available from Google.

Seems to affect Dell PCs the most. Dell's response was this:

This issue is sometimes caused by the Atmhelpr.sys driver which is loaded by Adobe Type Manager version 4.0.

Remove Adobe Type Manager from the system using the Add/Remove programs icon in the control panel. Then attempt to use Standby.

There was also a suggestion (from Dell) that standby/hibernate mode was really only designed for laptops and is not recommended for desktop hardware. That was interesting, as it confirms my experience as well.

4. computer_pet

I uninstalled Adobe Type Manager, except the error still comes up.

I use standby as there is a key on my keyboard As standby turns the screen off, when ever I leave my PC I push the key, so the screen goes off and also when my computer goes on standby it blocks all internet/network activity which is good.

5. Dan O

Dan O

The keyboard driver may not be compatible for Standby and there nothing you can do about it. Except you could try using the standard XP keyboard driver, which works often with third party devices. To try it go to Device Manager and delete the keyboard and reboot. Windows should discover the keyboard and automatically set it up.

To open Device Manager, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

6. computer_pet

Okay,
    but if i use the standard windows driver that will disable extra buttons on my keyboard. I have volume control, media control, and none buttons that open programs on my computer by pressing them.
    I think i will just not use standby then
    Thanks

7. computer_pet

I uninstalled all drivers restated with a normal keyboard. Installed keyboards drivers shutdown, then installed keyboard into computer. Restarted then the keyboard works fine and can put the computer on Stand-by Mode.
    Thanks

Sorry it took so long to reply, forgot about it :D

8. Dan O

Dan O

Nice job, and thanks for the feedback.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!