1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I don't think my new laptop can connect to anything! :(

Discussion in 'Networking' started by btp.kickoff, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. btp.kickoff

btp.kickoff Thread Starter

I recently bought a new laptop from HP and it was meant to come with Vista pre-installed. It didn't. It had Windows XP on it for some strange reason, but it had not been configured or set up yet, I had to do that the first time I turned it on.

When I used it for the first few times i could get it connected to the internet but it had some sort of spyware or virus on it causing more virus's to get on the computer without me even browsing the web! I figured somebody was just messing with me by putting this on before I got the computer so I simply wiped everything off the computer and re-installed XP from the disk that came with the computer in case we needed XP instead of vista. (Even though we didn't get vista like we ordered)

Now for some reason when I plug the ethernet cable in from my modem the lights near the jack light up but only one of them does, and the computer does not acknowledge any connection. I have tried different ports, and even different modems, but to no avail.

I have been into my network connections and it is empty, there is no connection in there at all.
    Nothing in the bottom right corner in the taskbar saying the internet is or isn't connected. I don't know what to do!
    I have even tried running the install disk for the modems but it simply says that there is no internet connection.

When I press the button to connect to wireless on the top of my keyboard the button lights up, but the computer won't locate any wireless networks.

This computer has just been hassle after hassle!

please help me somebody:(

2. HCD

HCD

If you bought it from a shop - simply take it back! If you bought it second-hand, then find the seller and take it back. You should have original disks supplied....none of this hassle!

3. btp.kickoff

well I got it from a rewards point system and they actually got it straight from HP so they just tell us to contact them. I think that would be the best idea to just send it back but that would cause ALOT more hassle.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If it was shipped directly from HP, then that's who you need to deal with. The rewards company didn't make the computer, and they're not in the business of providing tech support.

The bottom line is that you didn't get what you paid for (regardless of what you used to pay) if the invoice does indeed say Windows Vista. And new computers certainly don't come with viruses pre-installed, but I can't say whether that was present before you started using the computer or not.

If you can't or choose not to get support from HP, you need to find, download, and install drivers for all your hardware. Reinstalling Windows likely didn't include any of the drivers you need.

5. btp.kickoff

How will I find and download the drivers though because I don't know what drivers I need and I can't connect to the internet to download them on the computer I need them on.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You're on a computer now that has Internet access. You use that to download the drivers to some type of removable media (CD, DVD, flash drive, external hard drive).

7. btp.kickoff

Heh, I thought of that, I'm trying it out right now and hopefully the drivers are all thats wrong.

Wish me luck.

8. btp.kickoff

Done.

That was alot easier than I expected. Thankyou for your help, and now I must spend the rest of this boring day restoring everything else needed hehe.

Thankyou!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!