1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I get stuck at the welcome screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by milton157, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. milton157

milton157 Thread Starter

i have a dell latitude d600 laptop and i keep getting stuck at the welcome screen. not frozen, i can move the mouse cursor around but there's no options to choose from so i'm essentially stuck. i usually keep my computer in stand by and then everythings fine. but occasionally i shut down my computer and thats when i have this problem. this problem started once in a while when i started up the computer but now it happens everytime i start it up. i called a tech support number and they had me goto "start" then "run" and type in "prefetch" and over 50 files came up. the man on the phone said there should be about 7 files there. he told me we could fix the problem in 10 minutes but it would cost me $120. i didnt want to pay that much for something i could do in 10 minutes with some advice. i scanned my entire computer and tried to fix the corrupted files but still have the same problem. If anyone could help me out i'l really appriciate the help. Please help me fix this problem! thanks!

2. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

If you get into windows, you could set it to boot straight to your desktop, that might help

Go to Start>run>type in control userpasswords2 enter>
    On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer check box and then
    click OK.In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user name and password for the account you want to be
    logged on each time you start your computer
    If you dont use a password for your account , then leave the password blank

joan

3. milton157

milton157 Thread Starter

but shouldn't i be worried about these corrupted files stocking up on my computer. i would much rather fix the problem than just try to bypass it.

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi milton157

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

If you press ctrl+alt+del does a window appear where you can key in your user name and password to login?

5. milton157

milton157 Thread Starter

no, nothing happens. i can only power the computer off and turn it back on. sometimes it will get stuck again and sometimes it works

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

How often out of 10 starts can you login?

You might consider making a backup of important files then try a Windows Repair.
    You will need the Windows disk for that.

You don't by chance have an external drive attached to the laptop when this occurs?

What types of files were found corrupted?

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us

7. milton157

milton157 Thread Starter

its different every time. usually if it doesnt work i'll restart it and then it works but just this afternoon it took me 4 or 5 tries to get it to work.

i bought the computer refurbished so there is no windows disk that came with it.

there no externall drive attached

when i was on the phone with a support tech he told me all the files in the "prefetch" folder were corrupted, heres some examples of the files. and there are over 50 of these:

ACRORD32.EXE-356875A2.pf
    AVGUI.EXE-388E181A.pf
    LOGONUI.EXE-0AF22957.pf
    POWERPNT.EXE-2F940E7E.pf
    RUNDLL32.EXE-265B85FB.pf
    WZQKPICK.EXE-303401C3.pf

i was also told by the supprt tech that by not getting rid of these files they can reproduce and ruin my computer.

8. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

How many files are in the Prefetch folder?

9. milton157

milton157 Thread Starter

66 items

10. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

See this link about prefetch files:
    http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000743.html

Were you running the System File checker, when the errors were found in those files?

It would probably be more worth while, configuring a "clean boot" state for Windows XP.

11. milton157

milton157 Thread Starter

im actually not sure if those files were corrupted. there was a long list of line that i chose to correct through my scan. it didnt change anything and the folder had 66 files and still does. i didnt compare the files on the scan to the files in the folder. the only reason i say these are corrupt is because when i was on the phone with tech support they told me to pull up the prefetch file and when i did he said "see all of those, those are corrupt files and there should be about 7, how many do you have?" so i told him over 50 and he told me that if i dont fix it they could create more and hurt my computer. he then wanted to charge me $120 to fix it and have a year subscribtion. it was through iyogi.net that i tried this. im going to try your clean boot and see what happens.

12. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Sounds good and less costly.

Keep us updated on your results.

13. milton157

milton157 Thread Starter

i just tried the clean boot and it didnt work. it just took me almost 20 tries to get the computer to start up. but once i did get it to start up i got the following error message:

"the system could not log you on. make sure your username and domain are correct, then type your password again."

now what? haha

14. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

15. milton157

milton157 Thread Starter

you know it sucks because it sounds like that hotfix or whatever it was called sounds like it might be what was wrong, but im not sure. and it says it your not 100% sure dont do it cause it could damage your computer. so i cant try that because im not certain that what it says is my actual problem

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!