1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] I hate ATI..Help please

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Endemix, Jan 18, 2003.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Endemix

Endemix Guest Thread Starter

Ok, I decided to get the latest driver for the ATI Radeon 7000. The instructions told me to uninstall my ATI driver, reboot and then install the new one. Well I did that and then when I boot up there is no display..monitor is black and the monitor power button is flashing. Anyways, I can't install the new driver in safe mode or install the one on the cd and my system restore, which is enabled, never works?

Can someone please help?

2. Endemix

Maybe I should go back to my onboard...anyone know how?

3. RandyG

RandyG

Remove the Radeon from your machine, plug the monitor into your onboard port, and reboot. Most Motherboards with onbuilt video automatically use an add-on card in preference to the onbuilt graphics, so that may be why you cannot default to it now.

BTW, I've had major problems with graphics cards before, cause I used to always update drivers frequently. I have now learned, the hard way, to never update the drivers unless I am experiencing difficulties with the current set. Just FYI!;)

4. Dan O

Dan O

You may want to try Safe Mode to install the driver. Reboot your PC and depress and hold down F8 after the PC posts the hardware.

btw: I have several ATI All In Wonder and I love them, but you have to be careful how you install the drivers, so I agree they can cause some pain.

5. RandyG

RandyG

I didn't mention this, Dan), cause he said he tried and couldn't do it in Safe Mode, probably cause Safe Mode won't recognise his CD-Rom, where the new drivers are located. I do not know how to enable CDRoms in Safe mode, so if you do, could you post that as well, or a work-around?

6. Dan O

Dan O

I missed that he could not use Safe Mode, but he should download the latest drivers from the vendor's web site, which will not require using the CD-ROM. But XP has several Safe Modes and I think one of them includes CD-ROM support. The user must follow the install instructions very closely otherwise it will not work. If the install still will not work from Safe Mode go into Device Manager and delete all Display adapters and reboot. Windows should see the Display adapter and you should select Have Disk and point to where the new drivers are stored.

P.S. Randy thanks for pointing out what I missed. :)

7. Endemix

Ok I got it working. I used the "Last Known Config that worked", which wasn't working before but did now. So windows loaded, I installed the new drivers...and games that didn't work before, now work! For the most part I'm happy.

Ps. The cd drive worked in safe mode. I was getting errors saying I didn't have a video adapter installed and the I didn't have directx installed....meanwhile...I do.

Thanks

8. Dan O

Dan O

Good job and thanks for letting us know.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice