1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I have an emergency--network problem in an office-computer guy gone

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xfile47, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

There is an insurance agency in this small town of 600, they have a computer guy that takes care of there stuff he went on vacation and they are down. They asked me for help since i have worked on computers before. I don't kn ow alot but they know I no some so they begged me to help. Here is the basic problem

All they have is router to patch panel to firewall to modem DSL

I checked the telephone box outside the office hooked my laptop up and there is internet there, inside I bypassed everything and plugged my laptop into the modem and got on the interner there so we have internet to there equipment. Heres the problem supposedly nothing has been changed. On their computers I can get the ip address, subnet mask and gateway and it says it is sending and recieving. ipconfig shows also ip, subnet, gateway, but it is always page cannot be displayed for internet, the last time I tried one of there computers about 1/2 hour ago it went to low or no connection but before that I had everything but could not get internet, I released and renew the ip, recycled modem and rebooted computers, I guess I need to no If I can get the internet by bypassing there equipment except for there modem and get internet and it shows they are getting ips, subnet, and gateways, and says it is sending and recieveng doesn't it have to be something with there equipment or a cable ? Please help for what to try next, they have 5 emplyees waiting to get on their computers , I am lost

2. JohnnyP

JohnnyP

Have you tried unplugging all of the network equipment and powering them back on (I peer powering them on starting with the modem and working though the devices 1 at a time. If no luck can you post the results of ipconfig /all

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

also I wanted to add quick when I did the ipconfig on a computer there it had the ip, subnet,gatway, but sayd router enabled, NO, THE router lites are flashing in the equipment room could it be that it just needs to be reboot to? if so would you turn off the firewall and reboot and the router and reboot it do you don't have to do anything with the patch panel so if I reboot the modem, firewall, and router, the only one I have not rebooted is the router, I thought that reboot with the firewall but I have to reboot it also??

4. TimoftheC

TimoftheC

Xfile have you tried to run tracert to an IP address and then a domain name on the net?

5. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

No, I havent done that before, I was going to ask if the router is plugged into the patch panel does thaqt have to be reboot also? you can't just reboot the firewall and modem I have to reboot everything they have patchpanel, switch, router, firewall, modem, should I reboot them all? They don't use a server

6. JohnnyP

JohnnyP

I would reboot the router also, have you tried bypassing the firewall?

7. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

well I just bypassed everything and went just into the modem and got right on, they said they haven't changed anything so I will go reboot everything and if that doesn't do it I will try to get more info like exactly what it says on the ipconfig, be back in about 1/2 hour

8. JohnnyP

JohnnyP

try getting the ipconfig /all that gives more information

9. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Well got it working, I was on one computer and had everything like I said and I could ping the ISP and there server and google and some othhers but could'tn get on the internet. So I took that IP address out and them put it back in and reboot everything and presto everyone now has internetr----Thanks for telling me to boot everything that must have been what it was, I had to turn the switch off at a power supply they were using and then turn off the firewall and modem, they aren't using the router there are no cables running to it put they have it powered on, don't no why, any way it all came back up so I am relieved and thank you again I will close this thread, its a relief to have that done, I am use to doing small home networks for 2 or 3 computers on like a linksys router, not used to what this was

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!