1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I have no sound after Windows Update......

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Intrinsic, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Intrinsic

Intrinsic Thread Starter

Hello all - Hopefully someone can help me sort this extremely annoying problem!

Two days ago I downloaded four Windows Vista updates/service pack after repeated prompting. Everything seemed to download OK, the system rebooted and since then I have got no sound from my laptop at all.

I can't play songs in iTunes - i.e. they now wont actually even start playing rather than just not being able to hear them.

I get no sound say for example if I watch a youtube video.

I have now got a red x over the speaker item in the system tray - if I hold the cursor over it a message pops up saying 'No Audio Output Device is installed'.

An error message appears when I open iTunes saying ' iTunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration'. NO KIDDING!

Does anyboday have any idea how to get my sound back. :confused:

Thanks in anticipation.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. When you did Windows updates you probably chose to do hardware updates too. NEVER do that.

Did you make a restore point prior to the updates? If so, you might roll back and see if that fixes it.

3. Intrinsic

Intrinsic Thread Starter

Hi - Many thanks for the welcome and quick response.

I've cracked it - we have sound again. Here's how:

In Control Panel > System > Select the Device Manager and find the Sound entry. Expand it. Click the entry for High Definiton Audio Device with the right mouse button then uninstall it and the software too (check the box).

Reboot - when it restarts it will reinstall the Audio device, only this time it works.

*Makes mental note never to do hardware updates in the future*

Cheers (y)(y)

4. ~Candy~

You probably got rid of the "updated" driver, and Windows just rolled back the one that worked :)

You can mark the thread solved right above your first post.

5. Intrinsic

Intrinsic Thread Starter

Marked As Solved (y)

6. ~Candy~

(y) Gracias :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!