1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: i lose connection for good when laptop lid closes

Discussion in 'Networking' started by asuss06, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

i just got a laptop 2 days ago with Vista (dont know if this is a Vista question or not). When i start my laptop, i have a fine wireless connection. then when i close the lid it all goes into hibernation, ofcourse, but then when i open the lid later, not only is the connection gone, but the laptop will not even recognize my Linksys router & wireless - which is only 3 feet away! i have to restart the computer to get a connection again.
    ive called Gateway 4 times and i get a different response everytime i call - one just told me a MUST reinstall windows in order to fix it. Even Lisksys gives me different answers everytim i call too.
    Vista has alot more settings and little petty nuances than XP. is there a setting i have to make for the wireless to be recognized after hibernation?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, upgrade Vista to SP1. Next, go into Device Manager and for the wireless adapter, configure all of the power saving options to be disabled.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Assuming you're talking about an integrated wireless adapter get the latest driver for it from your laptop manufacturer's web site. Sometimes an updated driver will help the problem of the lost network connection after awakening from hibernation (or sleep). SP1 may also help. Not sure if power options will help since hibernation turns everything off anyhow.

Otherwise, you may have to live with it (e.g., switch the wireless off before hibernation and back on after awakening) or try a different adapter or router.

4. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

what is SP1?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  6. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

oh. shoulda known. well, i alrready had installed the SP1, but it's now suddenly working. its been working fora about a day now, so ill just keep my fingers crossed.
    thanks all

7. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

8. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

i did that days ago. its clearly marked as solved.

9. JohnWill

So you did, I posted to the wrong thread. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice