1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I may have accidentally deleted something important off my computer and can't

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by nic515, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nic515

nic515 Thread Starter

Please help me! I just got a laptop 2 weeks ago and I downloaded something and as i attempted to remove it i accidentally deleted something called intel ..something. and i could not get on the web after that and i trited to restore but that did not work then it said i could turn system restore off and on again to create new point now i cant restore back to before i uninstalled this important "software?' i don't know what else to do .. i have a wireless connection but it says a network cable is unplugged ?? and something about a firewall i think i really messed it up after i uninstalled what that was .. please please help i am waiting for microsoft now to call me back but i don't know if they will charge me $>? if there is another option to restore my computer to the state it was in before i made that idiot move that would be great.
    thank you so much for helping

2. nic515

nic515 Thread Starter

think i am going to cry i need my computer for school

3. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

Hi nic515
    Will need the exact laptop make and model number. Also your router make and model. It sounds as though you have caused your wireless adapter to fail, but it should be completely recoverable by connecting your laptop to your router with a Patch Cable. The connection you see the cable unplugged message is because there is no patch cable connected, it is not the wireless connection. This should be easy enough to resolve.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    We need to know the brand name, model name, and complete model number of your laptop.

If perchance it's a Dell brand, advise what the 7-character "service tag" number is on the sticker.

If perchance it's a HP/Compaq brand, advise what the product number(P/N) and model number(M/N) is on the sticker.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Is that laptop running Windows XP or Windows Vista or Windows 7 or Windows 8, 32-bit or 64-bit?

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

FWIW you can restore the computer to factory default easily enough. Google for your laptop model and instruction on how to do it - it should be done in ~30 minutes.

If you have personal files that you need then back them up onto a USB drive or flash drive etc and make a copy on DVD too.

6. fraganegra

fraganegra

perhaps you can try uninstalling your wireless network adapter in device manager and then reinstalling it. you can find this by clicking on the following
    1control panel
    2administritive tools
    3computer management
    4system tools
    5device manager

in device manager locate your wireless adapter and then right click uninstall it.
    after this on top there is an icon which is a computer with a magnifying glass on top.
    click on it and it will begin searching to reinstall network adapter.
    you can also right click somewhere on the dropdown list and click on scan for hardware changes

7. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

nic515 - just to clarify my earlier post- I am thinking once we re-establish your Internet connection, the wireless connection should be an easy fix. The suggestions that followed - restore factory defaults and uninstalling may very well work, good chance of it too. My thoughts are to have an internet connection working and available just in case another method stops half way through because there is no connection, leaving the computer in a worse state than we start with. All advice is valid here, only the approach is different.

8. nic515

nic515 Thread Starter

thank you everyone for responding i do have a desktop computer in my home that is connected with a cord to the internet so i will try all these options you all have given i am hoping i can fix it it doesnt seem too bad i am just not computer smart so if i cant i will probably have to pay around 40 bucks to get it done by a pro but i will give it a try and let you all know how it goes

9. nic515

nic515 Thread Starter

my laptop is a thinkpad t61 lenovo intel and it is windows xp

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    What Type number is your T61?

It has 4 numbers.

-------------------------------------------------

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - Hardware - Device Manager.

Are there any entries in the list that have a yellow ? or ! next to them?

-------------------------------------------------

11. nic515

nic515 Thread Starter

will this mess anything up i am afraid to try it lol

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Please reply to the 2 questions in post #10.

-------------------------------------------------------

13. nic515

nic515 Thread Starter

it is a intel(R) Core (tm)2 duo cpu T8100 @ 2.10 GHz 2.09GHz 2.00 GB of RAM and no i don't see any ? or !

14. valis

valis Moderator

Nope. We'll take care of you here. :)

15. valis

valis Moderator

and flavallee, the gent assisting you, has forgotten more than either you or I will ever learn; in short, we'll get you sorted.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!