1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I messed up my dell 2400 - need expert help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rambelmont, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rambelmont

rambelmont Thread Starter

I have really screwed up my computer --dell dimension 2400 – talk about a mess. I wanted to clean off the hard drive, so I tried to reinstall xp using a friend’s cd because the only xp cd I could find was an upgrade (from win98). I don’t know what I did wrong (or if the problem was with the cd), but setup got into a loop we could not get out of.

Since I had my xp cd to upgrade from 98, we tried to install win98. It did clean off the hard drive, but it failed to install completely and now the cd drive will not work. And when I click on IE, an error message “Msoobe” comes up and says it has perfomed an illegal operation and shuts down.

My brother also has a dell dimension 2400, and he thought there was a way to reset the computer to its original configuation. I tried the Control+F11 that he suggested, but the screen says it needs a device file to run that it cannot find. There is a line that reads
    Vnetbios.vxd
    Is this the missing file?

I can’t find the resourceCd that came with the 2400, but I have a ResourceCD from a dell dimension xps t800. I don’t know if it will work for a 2400. And it can’t work now because the cd drive won’t respond.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? It seems that every step I took made it worse. I need expert help. Thanks

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Check to see that the CD drive is recognized in the BIOS setup. Check the cables, too.
    Dell will send you another CD normally at the cost of freight...Did you do an FDISK before you tried to install Win98? You need a start up disk if your CD doesn't work. And, BTW, do you have a CD cleaner?

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

The 2400's did not come with a restore partition . . you will need a Dell Reinstallation CD to reinstall XP . . you can request a replacement here

4. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

not entirely true, dimension 2400's built after early 2004 have the F11 option, a recovery console installed. i just helped a friend of mine use that option on her dim 2400, which she got in March of '04.;)

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

I stand corrected . . I have yet to see a 2400 series with the recovery partition however

6. rambelmont

I can't get into BIOS -- I keep getting that message on the screen saying"

it needs a device file to run that it cannot find." Then there is a line that reads
    Vnetbios.vxd

I have been trying different things to get the CD back, and now it works, and it can read my xp cd. It is an upgrade cd, and I do have win98 partially installed, but I am afraid of making the situation worse. Should I try to install xp over my partially-installed win98?

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

I would not . . boot from the XP cd, delete all the partitions and set up new one(s) . . then install XP

8. rambelmont

I don't understand. How do I boot from the xp cd? Do I turn the computer on with the xp cd in the drive? I did that and I still get the message that comes up whenever I start the computer ("it needs a device file to run that it cannot find." Then there is a line that reads
    Vnetbios.vxd)

Then when I press a key, it goes directly to win98, not to the xp cd. I can start the xp setup, but not without win98 first. I am concerned since win98 still opens with that error message about vnetbios. Then when I close that message, I get a hardware conflict involving the graphics adapter. So I know win98 is not fully/correctly installed, maybe because the 2400 was set up for xp...?

My brother has the same computer-- is there a disk he can burn that would re-set my comuter to the original factory configuration with xp?

9. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    You should be able to get into the BIOS setup before that message comes up. Try tapping F2 while the Dell logo is displayed. When you get into the setup make sure that the CD drive boots first. Once again it's best to use the CD from Dell. It's not that much.

10. rambelmont

Yes, that avoided the message and I got into BIOS. I changed the order of the boot sequence so the CD boots before the HD. Thank you.

I tried to order a recovery disc on the dell website --no luck. When I called their customer service, they said they no longer make recovery/reinstall discs. Instead, they send the xp disc which gives you the OS. Then you need to download the drivers, etc. from dell's website. I should get the cd next week, and hopefully, I will be able to get my computer back to a usable condition.

Thanks again for your help.

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

If I remember right, the Dell Reinstallation cd will have the drivers for the 2400 . . any you are mising, you can go here, . . enter your Service Tag and download any drivers you need

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

No Rich Dell Reinstallation cd is only Windows so they would have to download the drivers as you suggested.

13. Old Rich

Old Rich

Yeah ., . but I recall that XP has all the drivers for the 2400 . . I could be misremembering . . we'll know pretty quickly

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Usually not ethernet or audio....as I remember.

15. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

My dell 2400 came with a Windows XP cd and a "Resource cd" which contains all the device drivers.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/716617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice