1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I messed with partitions and lost

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DesertFoxCat, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesertFoxCat

DesertFoxCat Thread Starter

My original plan was to install Linux on another partition on my computer. Creating the new partition went fine, but when I used the new one as the active partition, Linux wouldn't install correctly and I had to restart the computer.

Then I got an "operating system could not load correctly" error message so I had to install Windows a few times until I got where I am now.

Everything on my computer works fine, except when I try to access the documents from my old Windows installation.

The exact folder I'm trying to access is at the path C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel (Daniel was the name of my old account). I get the error message "C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel is not accessible. Access is denied."

Does anyone know how I can get into this folder, or at least how can I get my files out of it? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

First of all you can only have one active partition on a computer. This is a rule set in stone, when you install any other operating system you want to look into a topic called, Dual boot.

For the file you can not access try this

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=308421

3. DesertFoxCat

DesertFoxCat Thread Starter

Thank you so much! That solved my problem perfectly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice