Solved: I messed with partitions and lost

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DesertFoxCat

My original plan was to install Linux on another partition on my computer. Creating the new partition went fine, but when I used the new one as the active partition, Linux wouldn't install correctly and I had to restart the computer.

Then I got an "operating system could not load correctly" error message so I had to install Windows a few times until I got where I am now.

Everything on my computer works fine, except when I try to access the documents from my old Windows installation.

The exact folder I'm trying to access is at the path C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel (Daniel was the name of my old account). I get the error message "C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel is not accessible. Access is denied."

Does anyone know how I can get into this folder, or at least how can I get my files out of it? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

First of all you can only have one active partition on a computer. This is a rule set in stone, when you install any other operating system you want to look into a topic called, Dual boot.

For the file you can not access try this

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=308421

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online