1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] I need a Modem Driver. The Box says v.92/v.44 and thats all

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thegreatone, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thegreatone

thegreatone Thread Starter

I took the modem out and it says Ambient on the board. I installed Win 2000 on the machine and everything is fine except the modem doesn't work. I used the install CD that came with it to install the driver but it says it's not the correct driver. The box says it is compatable with Win 2000.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did you try finding the appropriate drivers on the Windows 2000 cd? Are there setup instructions?

3. thegreatone

I installed Win 2000 with the modem already installed in the PC. Wouldn't the Win 2000 CD have installed the correct driver automatically? My question is why doesn't the Win 2000 Driver that came with the Modem work? The modem did work on 98 but I cleaned everything and installed 2000 instead this time.

4. ~Candy~

From your first post, I got the impression that the wrong drivers were on the cd. With the install of 2K after the modem was installed, yes, the modem should have been recognized and the appropriate drivers installed at that time. Does the modem appear in device manager at all? Does anything appear there with an exclamation mark? I'm not sure how 2K addresses IRQ settings, but you might try putting the modem in another slot.

5. thegreatone

It does so a device in the device manager with a exclamation mark. I'll try moving it to a new slot thanks

6. ~Candy~

Also, remove the problem device from device manager too.

7. thegreatone

got it thanks

8. ~Candy~

If you'll give a brief update as to the steps you took, it will help others in the future........

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!