1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: i NEED a PLUG-N-PLAY PRINTER install expert

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ilq36, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilq36

ilq36 Thread Starter

I am unable to install my hp officejet 5510 all-in-one.

The problem occurs shortly after the installation procedure tells me to connect the USB cable and power on the printer. The Found New Hardware Wizard gives this message: “The hardware wasn’t installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software.” I can continue on with the installation, but the result is a failed installation.

I have ran the install using both the original installation disk and with the web release software from the hp site. Same thing happens either way. (I have done a complete uninstall between successive install attempts.)

Note that I have tried to install the printer on TWO different PC’s, both running Windows XP (with SP2 and current updates) and have had the same problem. This might suggest that the problem is the officejet itself, but there is other evidence that suggests otherwise:

I am able to use the copy function of the all-in-one and I am able to print a test page.

More significantly, I was able to get the scanner working (with limited functionality) by doing a non-standard installation. I chose “I will choose the driver.” This gave me a list of devices. I chose “Imaging Devices.” I then chose an hp model number very close to mine (5500 instead of 5510). I got an error message (a different one than before), but in the end my all-in-one did show up in the Control Panel under Scanners And Cameras and I successfully scanned a document. But my all-in-one was NOT listed under Printers. And no applications I opened could detect any installed printer.

Help!

2. AlvinPCA

AlvinPCA

Looks like you have installed the microsoft driver version first instead of using the cd that came with the printer.
    Do a complete uninstall of the printer:
    - Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the printer if it's in the list
    - Go to device manager and delete the printer from the list
    - Go to Start - Printers (assuming you got XP)
    - Click File-Server Properties-Drivers
    - Delete the printer
    Make sure printer is plugged in to your pc
    Insert the printer driver cd and reboot machine
    Once rebooted, you will see the microsoft hardware wizard come up wanting to install the printer
    Click CANCEL (DO NOT install using this)
    Run setup from your cd
    It should install all the necessary drivers from the cd

3. ilq36

ilq36 Thread Starter

I got it installed and working. I can't say exactly what I did, but it works. Thanks for your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice