1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I need help with my Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by EagleClaw92, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EagleClaw92

EagleClaw92 Thread Starter

I SURE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP I COULD GET WITH THIS PROBLEM - THANKS

I've never had a problem with this before and I have a ton of music on it so I really need to try to fix this.....but I can tell it is way over my head. This problem just started yesterday. My computer is an:
    HP xw6400 Workstation that is probably around 7 years old which is just a guess cause I got it used.

OS is XP Pro SP3 Version 2002 (so this computer may be older than I guessed). I can supply any more info if it is needed.

When I open WMP, a dialog box comes up in the middle of it that says "WMP has encountered a problem and needs to close, sorry. There is an area to click on for more info about the error & when I click on that it comes up with another dialog box that states the Error signature which has 5 short computer lingo lines and a few have numbers after them.....I can supply that if needed.

This dialog box also has a click here area to view technical info about the error report. This brings up another dialog box which states in the blue bar on top "Error Report Contents". Under that it says "The following info about your process will be reported:

Then it has about 12 lines of computer lingo & numbers & letters & I can supply that. Then there is a break in the box & it says: "The following files will be included in this error report: Then it lists one file name which is: C:\DOCUME~1\Dek\LOCALS~1\Temp\5176_appcompat.txt

the 2 squiggly lines are actually a little higher, but that is where my keyboard puts them in. I would have added the other stuff I talked about, but I saw that I couldn't copy & paste it & if needed will take a very long time to put in all that info

That is the end of the info & then I just have to close the boxes using the red X's.....when I click the last one which is the WMP....it doesn't close right away....it says that it is ending now.....and u can click on that to close it or just wait till it closes on it's own.

One of the times I tried it.....after I looked at everything & then closed it, a dialog box came up that had in the blue bar on top.... Dr. Watson Postmortem Debugger (I think this came up in regards to the WMP program).....and there was some info after that if needed, although I'm not sure if I could get that box to come up again.

I SURE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP I COULD GET WITH THIS PROBLEM - THANKS

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you have "a ton of music" in that computer and don't want to lose it all if Windows crashes or the hard drive dies, I hope you have it backed up in some reliable external media(CD-R's, DVD-R's, external USB hard drive, etc.).

We don't know how you organize and save your music files, but they all should be in the My Music folder.

Whether you use Windows Media Player or VLC Media Player or some other player, the music is obtained from where it's saved.

If a player crashes and stops working, that doesn't mean you lost your music.

---------------------------------------------------------

3. stantley

stantley

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I was going to ask you if you have WMP 11 or an older version.

If you have version 11, reinstall it over itself, as stantley advised.

If you have an older version, install WMP 11.

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. EagleClaw92

THANKS AGAIN FOR HELPING ME

Thanks a lot for the info guys. I had some things I needed to take care of or I would have gotten back to u folks sooner about this.

As I already mentioned.....I'm still a novice with computers....u guys are probably light years ahead of me in computer knowledge. I've learned by trial & error (1 thing I learned very early was to be very careful about doing something where I didn't know what the danger level could be to my computer, such as not to mess with the registry files) & reading info from some books & reading some stuff off the net.

Since I put this post in.....I did most all of the things I know how to do which gets my computer to perform at it's optimal level. Then I tried to open my WMP again. It still doesn't work, but it doesn't say that it is closing now like before cause it ran into a problem. Now another dialog box comes up which is this:

The blue title bar at the top of it says "DDE Server Window: wmplayer.exe - Application Error"

And in the white area below there is a big red circle on the left hand side which has a white X carved into it. Then after that it says (in the two strings of numbers and letters it has, they are both in quotes which means I'm not putting in the quote marks myself....they are there compared to the quotes that are around the info I put in the sentence before this about what is in the blue title bar - I put those in myself).

Also in the two strings of numbers & letters in the white they have zero's or the capital letter for o which are somewhat similar although I think the zero is a litle bit less round than the capital o.....so zero would = 0 and the capital o = O. They are a bit difficult to make sure of but I'll do my best.

OK - It says The instruction at "0x77c472e3" referenced memory at "0x03111000" (now that I did it, it looked like they were all zero's, the capital O just looks bigger & rounder than what I see). The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program

Does that help in figuring out what is wrong with my WMP?

Oops - now when I try to open my WMP I'm getting the message again that I wrote about when I started this thread. I'm also at times getting the dialog box about the Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger.....I have no idea what this is about (I think this may have had an icon to click on for more info, but I'm not sure). I'm not getting the message I just wrote about anymore.

I've tried to figure out what version of WMP I have, but I haven't been able to do so. When I've looked on the net for how to do this.....all of the sites say the same thing. To open the player u click on Help & then click on "About WMP" & the info will be there. But when I open it & get whatever dialog box that comes up about it not working now......I can't click on Help because when I hover my cursor over it.....it turns into the thing that loks like a "sand dial", well, not really a sand dial, but u know what I mean, & when this happens, u can never click on whatever it is u are trying to do.

I would think there should be another way to figure it out.....but I haven't found it. Just in case this has to do with it....I'll repeat some info about my computer. It is an HP xw6400 Workstation. The OS is XP Pro (which windows recently quit supporting). My Browser is I.E. 8. Why it isn't a newer version I discussed in my other post from the other day.

I also know I'm running a bit low on RAM. I looked into adding more a while back & with this computer you can't get a whole lot more like you can with most computers. This computer comes with 2.00 GB of RAM. And u can only add either 2 or 4 more GB's. And it is more expensive than most to get more of because it has to be "buffered Memory" & there is something else that it has to be, but I forget what it was.

Also to install it - I think that with most computers you can just sort of attach it in the area that is there for it. But with mine, you have to get some stuff out of the way inside to get to where u have to put it & then put it back & I have ZIP experience with working on the inside of a computer. Although with my computer tower thing.....it is very easy to take off one of the sides of it with no tools and put it back.

I have opened it before so I could use some of the compressed air u buy in those cans to spray it all over the fans in my computer because they had collected a lot of gunk on them.....probably because I'm a smoker & I was really surprised how that messes up the inside of your computer.

I had got some message about a fan not working right quite some time ago and after I cleaned them.....I spray in there from time to time these days & I've never had another message about that again.

So, does any of this info help to do something else or should I just go ahead and try to install the newer version of WMP that u guys mentioned I should & said I could install it over the top of my old one & my music would still end up being there?

One of the places a site sent me to to figure out wha version of WMP I have was YouTube. And there is now a message there too that says:

You're using an older version of Internet Explorer that we'll soon stop supporting. Please update your browser to the latest version.

So I guess I'm gonna have to try to install the Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome pretty soon. I hope the rest of my computer is up to date enough to install one of those.....it wouldn't let me install I.E. 9 which is what my other post was about......but I'm gonna try to take care of the WMP problem first & then the browser issue.

Also - I looked in the file titled My Music & there is very little of the music I have on my WMP for some reason. And lastly - I've tried to back up some stuff before - but it didn't work & thats a long story & I know this is already really long - so that would be for some future time.

THANKS AGAIN FOR HELPING ME

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows XP does not support IE9. You're stuck with using IE8 in it.

Windows XP supports WMP11. If you're using an older version, you need to upgrade it to 11.

------------------------------------------------------------

7. EagleClaw92

THANKS A LOT FOR STILL HANGING IN THERE WITH ME Flavallee

I've tried to figure out what version of WMP I have, but I haven't been able to do so. When I've looked on the net for how to do this.....all of the sites say the same thing. To open the player u click on Help & then click on "About WMP" & the info will be there. But when I open it & get whatever dialog box that comes up about it not working now......I can't click on Help because when I hover my cursor over it.....it turns into the thing that looks like a "sand dial", well, not really a sand dial, but u know what I mean, & when this happens, u can never click on whatever it is u are trying to do.

Also - I looked in the file titled My Music & there is very little of the music I have on my WMP for some reason. And lastly - I've tried to back up some stuff before - but it didn't work & thats a long story & I know this is already really long - so that would be for some future time.

Maybe this is the reason I have so much music on WMP & so little in the "My Music" folder. When I started with computers I knew very little.....much less than now.....even though I would still consider myself a novice.

I saw a site when I 1st started using a computer that said I could Download music from it. But that I had to join it and it would cost me $10 or something like that. I had always wanted to be able to pick my own music to put on a record & in the order I wanted.

Obviously now it would be a CD-R (or something like that). And It said after I downloaded the music.....I could put it on a CD (or something similar, I ended up using 80 minute CD-R's) & take it with me and play it in my car or whatever.

So I paid the money & they sent me the link to LimeWire. Not too long after this I realized I had been duped. Of course LimeWire was free & the people who had put that site up were fishing for newbies like me.

I loved LW. I could find anything there in regards to music which was all I used it for. It took me some time to learn how to use the basics. But after a while I figured out how to do it so that whenever I downloaded a piece of music.....it would go directly to my WMP (as well as LimeWire too).

I learned it was a file-sharing program so I was getting the music from other people & I eventually realized & could see that lots of people were downloading a lot of the music I had built up over time.

Then as I'm sure u know the government shut this program down because although it had pro's & con's....people were getting files without paying for them (although in my case I did pay a little because I had so little knowledge when I first got it.)

Then they set up a pirate edition of it and that was closed by the government too as I'm sure u know & I can understand why. Could this be why I have so much music on my WMP & so little in the "My Music" folder?

I don't download music anymore and I don't even try although I have read it can still be done through these bit-torrent programs (they are called something like that) which I might be able to figure out how to use.....but I know it would take make a whole lot of time.....and it probably just isn't the right thing to do anyway.

So my days of downloading music are over.....at least to do it so cheaply & I don't want to join some thing where u pay for music like I think iTunes is & probably other sites.

Actually, the computer I have now is my 2nd & my 1st was a low-end Dell computer. It had only one slot in it to put in a CD or CD-R. It had no floppy disk area either. But I could not download music to a CD-R with it. I could put in a CD-R & download what was on that to my computer.....but I couldn't take music I had on my computer & put it on the CD-R.

So I talked to someone with computer knowledge and they said I needed to buy another piece of hardware which is just a drive I can put a CD-R in and download music to it off my computer which is what I learned how to do. With the computer I have now (which only has one slot too) it will do both things with the one slot.....but I got so used to using the other drive I kept on doing it that way.

BOTTOM LINE - SHOULD I JUST GO AHEAD AND TRY TO INSTALL WMP VERSION 11 OVER THE VERSION OF WMD I HAVE NOW, EVEN THOUGH I DON'T KNOW WHAT VERSION I CURRENTLY HAVE?

THANKS TO ANYBODY THAT CAN HELP ME WITH THIS!

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It's real easy to determine which version of WMP you have.

Load its main window, then click Help - About Windows Media Player

The version number will be listed.

----------------------------------------------------------

9. stantley

stantley

Yes.

10. EagleClaw92

Thanks again for the reply. I explained in the 1st paragraph of my last post that I knew this - but my computer was not allowing me to do it.

I've tried to figure out what version of WMP I have, but I haven't been able to do so. When I've looked on the net for how to do this.....all of the sites say the same thing. To open the player u click on Help & then click on "About WMP" & the info will be there. But when I open it & get whatever dialog box that comes up about it not working now......I can't click on Help because when I hover my cursor over it.....it turns into the thing that looks like a "sand dial", well, not really a sand dial, but u know what I mean, & when this happens, u can never click on whatever it is u are trying to do.

I know how long these posts of mine are & I can understand why u wouldn't want to read them in full.

I got another reply from squirrel where he said to just go ahead and try to install WMP 11 over the version I have now even if I don't know what it is.....so I'm gonna try that. THANKS AGAIN

11. EagleClaw92

Oops - I meant not from squirrel but stantley......threw me off cause his avatar looks like a squirrel.

12. EagleClaw92

Thanks stantley - that is what I'm gonna try to do.

13. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    If you have Windows XP and you stated that you had tried every possible way to check what version of WMP you had without any success, I have not seen you try using your add/remove programs. There you will see which version of WMP you have. You may want to try to uninstall it from there and then re-install it either by going into the microsoft.com for the download or by using the microsoft updates.
    Since you also mentioned that you used Limewire and other peer to peer sites to download music, maybe you may have downloaded something that corrupted your files from there. I know it may be impossible, but it does exist.
    My last recommendation is if you have a separate hard drive with plenty of disc space available you may want to backup your documents into it and then reformat your whole computer again if anything above I mentioned does not works for you.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    A good point has been brought up here.

Most of the computers that I work on that have issues is usually a result of being infested with malware, spyware, rogues, hijackers, adware trackers, etc..

Let's get to work on checking out your computer.

--------------------------------------------------------

Go here, then click the large blue "Download Now @ Bleeping Computer" button to download and save AdwCleaner.exe to your desktop.

Close all open windows first, then double-click AdwCleaner.exe to load its main window.

Click the "Scan" button, then allow the scanning process to finish.

Click the "Report" button.

When the log appears, save it.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE log here.

--------------------------------------------------------

15. EagleClaw92

THANK U FOR YOUR HELP TEXASBULLET

Yes, that did the trick. I found that my version of WMP is version 11.

I don't know if this info is helpful or not - but right above that on my list to add or remove programs is the same icon that WMP has & after that it says - Windows Media Format 11 runtime

Like I've said - I'm big time novice compared to u folks. I'd guess it didn't get corrupted just because I haven't downloaded any music files since LimeWire shut down & my music from my WMP and playlists of music that I've made there were working fine & like they always had until just a few days ago when I tried to open it.

I did find something strange I think when I highlighted the 2 WMP icons on the Add or Remove programs list. Actually - I found this on several programs on this list when I highlight them. The 2 for WMP both said Size 8.23MB, they both said Used - frequently, & they both said Last Used on 12/16/2010. The last used date is WAY OFF!

I think the size may be wrong too, but I don't really know that, just sort of guessing it should say it was bigger.

I went to another program that I was using earlier today for quite a while & it said Size 16.27MB, Used - frequently, and Last Used on 10/20/12. That isn't right, cause I used it today and it worked fine. One of the few things that is working fine these days.

For some reason some of the programs I have show the right date for when I last used them - but several have the wrong date. And it seems that the programs that I have used most recently tend to have the wrong last used date moreso than ones I haven't used for a while - I don't know what this means. It could have always been like that - I never go there because I rarely remove the programs that I now have & never did look at last used dates.

Should I still try to re-install WMP 11 over the WMP version that I already have? Or should I remove my WMD 11 and then re-install WMP 11?

I would be worried about doing that because I would be afraid I would lose all the music I have on my WMP & it is a lot!

As to backing things up & reformatting my whole computer - some of that is just over my head and I'd have to start to study how to do that.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1128236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice