1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[solved]I really am stuck!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sc000ber2000, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sc000ber2000

sc000ber2000 Thread Starter

Ive got a Dell Pentium 2 computer that was having problems with windows 98 and so I decided to reformat the whole system a computer wiz downtown wrote me out the instructions on how to format my hard drive .... failing to tell me to save my cdrom drivers i preceded with the formatting and after deleting partitions and repartitioning it Now when starting up ,my computer will get all the way to the 3 choices of using cdrom support ext.ext. and locks up solid after I choose. I do have the windows 98 boot disk but not sure how to get that on the c: drive from dos what do I need to do ? or is my computer baked? please help me out email me if you can thanks

2. sc000ber2000

Ive got a Dell Pentium 2 computer that was having problems with windows 98 and so I decided to reformat the whole system a computer wiz downtown wrote me out the instructions on how to format my hard drive .... failing to tell me to save my cdrom drivers i preceded with the formatting and after deleting partitions and repartitioning it Now when starting up ,my computer will get all the way to the 3 choices of using cdrom support ext.ext. and locks up solid after I choose. I do have the windows 98 boot disk but not sure how to get that on the c: drive from dos what do I need to do ? or is my computer baked? please help me out email me if you can thanks

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not sure I'm clear on this. You can boot from a startup floppy and then choose CD-ROM support? Then it locks?

What boot disk are you using that allows you access? Are there 2 different boot disks?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Boot from the floppy. Choose CD-ROM support. When you get to the A: prompt, type E: (chances are that that will be your CD-ROM if you have one hard drive and one CD-ROM).

Then, put in your 98 CD and type: setup

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I take it that you are booting from a floppy disk.
    Is this a portable PC with a swappable floppy/CD?

6. sc000ber2000

im using microsoft windows 98 second edition boot disk

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

That should work fine.

8. sc000ber2000

my computer locks up when i choose cdrom support but i will try it again, just incase i didnt do somthing correctly

9. sc000ber2000

will the boot disc supply my cdrom driver to enable it to work?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

11. sc000ber2000

no iyts not its a tower setup

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

That disk has generic drivers that work with most CD-ROM's.

13. sc000ber2000

ill try all this later this mornin for now thanks for your help and have a wonderful labor day

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good luck, and you, too :D.

15. junker39

junker39

Your CD drivers are on the Floppy start up disk.(should be anyways) Try going to Bootdisk.com and making a new boot disk.(follow instruction on site) Then boot with the floppy and 98cd both in the PC. At the choices, select "with CD support" and give it time to get to the A: prompt. Type E:(or whatever your cd drive is at this point.) At the E: prompt type SETUP and that should get things rollin.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice