1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I really need help on what to get.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StarWolf, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StarWolf

StarWolf Thread Starter

Okay I just recently got a new computer, and it nice and all, but i would like it to preform faster and better. I tried figuring out all the stuff on my own... but it is now %:20 in the morning and i havnt learned anything useful. So I would like some help on what i should buy. I would like a better graphics card for one. I also need more ram, or dram :S i dont even know T_T But i would like to know the maximum i can get and such.
    heres what i have: (plz recomend the best upgrades possible)

Procesor:
    Intel pentium 4 2.00GHZ

Clocks:
    -Core Speed: 1994.7MHz
    -Multiplyer: 20.0
    -Bus Speed: 99.7MHz
    -Rated FSB: 389.7MHz

Cache:
    -L1 Data: 8KBytes
    -L1 Trace: Kuops
    -Level 2: 512KBytes

MainBoard:
    BIOS: Pheonix technologies version 6.00PG

Memory:
    Type: DDR
    Size: 1024MBytes
    Dram frequency: 133.0 MHz

so yah i would reeeeaaally appreciate some help, i tried figuring it out on my own, i just couldnt :'(

2. StarWolf

StarWolf Thread Starter

i guess my last resort didnt help T~T

I guess I will just let this thread float arround a bit and hopefully some kind person will help me.

3. BG-0

BG-0

The thing that matters in your computer would be your motherboard model... Download SIW, run it and copy the motherboard section here.

And a thing I'd like to add. How can you expect people to reply in 8 minutes with a full list of the best components you can use in that system :eek:

4. nessyguin

nessyguin

What you really need to refer to is your motherboard manual . Also check the manufacturer's website for BIOS updates that may help support higher spec components than listed in the manual . Find out from that what it is capable of supporting and max it out to that . Pay attention to the RAM and CPU specs . Graphics card is only limited to what you can afford and does it physically fit on your motherboard i.e. is there a PCI-e , AGP or just plain old PCI slots on your mobo .

If you post your PC model or motherboard model it'll be a lot easier for us to help you .

5. StarWolf

StarWolf Thread Starter

Property Value
    Manufacturer
    Model P4X266E-8235
    Version
    Serial Number

North Bridge VIA P4X266 (VT8753) Revision 01
    South Bridge VIA VT8235 Revision 01

CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
    Cpu Socket Socket 478 mPGA

System Slots 4 PCI, 1 AGP

Memory Summary
    Maximum Capacity 768 MBytes
    Maximum Memory Module Size 32 MBytes
    Memory Slots 3
    Error Correction None

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

And sorry for hoping for results in 8 minutes, wuite honestly i thought i had waited like an hour. Sorry I was tired.

6. kame_sanjo

kame_sanjo

did you aqcuire this computer from a store used? or did you build this? the system looks to be about 6-7 years old =\

you can get a great upgrade to that system for like 600 bucks these days.

7. StarWolf

StarWolf Thread Starter

yes my mom bought it off my uncle :\
    he said he got it 2 years ago "brand new"
    so what are my options here?

8. StarWolf

StarWolf Thread Starter

what should i do?

9. BG-0

BG-0

Buy or build a new one. It's so old that it ain't worth upgrading...

10. StarWolf

StarWolf Thread Starter

well that reaaallly sucks,

so getting a new graphics card wont help?

11. br1ng3r

br1ng3r

I totally agree with BG-0, iv'e just googled around for it and all that i could find was its made by VIA technologies. And for some reason most of the sites that deal with what you have are either Russian, Polish or Chinese. The only english ones compared your system to the Dell optiplex 775, Dell optiplex gx270 or the HP workstation xw6200. So im afraid its build or buy a new one. I think you've got a lemon there? "sorry".

12. kame_sanjo

kame_sanjo

not at all. the system is just not capable of doing much because of programs that require so much these days. youre going to have a hard time finding an AGP card, the board itself wont allow for a better processor / ram / video card.

in this market things become obsolete within those 2 years that your uncle got the computer =) if you start from scratch and do some research you can honestly get a good system for under 800 bucks. there are a lot of options out there that allow for customization.

what is it that you want to do exactly? power gaming? web surfing? multimedia?

13. BG-0

BG-0

Well, it has a AGP slot, max 4x speed cards supported, and they are very rare, and totally suck. I have no idea on CPU support. It can take up to 2 GB of crappy RAM. No idea which brand ones would work, if any. Sorry...

14. StarWolf

StarWolf Thread Starter

okay so how much would it cost to buy/build a new one?

15. BG-0

BG-0

Depends on what you're using it for. If you want to make it a fast surfing/multimedia/video editing PC, under 800 $, at least if you build it, if you want to play Crysis with full graphical details on 1600x1200+++ resolutions with 100 FPS, 3000-5000$.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!