1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I replaced a bad power supply, now windows won't boot. Why?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adp98408, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adp98408

adp98408 Thread Starter

Just replaced a bad power supply in my HP m1080n Media Center. Computer turned on and said windows failed to load. Gave me several options, Boot normally, boot in safe mode, boot from last working configuration, etc... Tried all of these and sometimes the comp shuts off as soon as I make a selection, and sometimes i get all the way to the XP boot screen and the loading bar starts to move before it craps out. Tried the recovery disk but no luck there either. Any ideas?

Replaced original Bestec 300W PSU (part# 5187-6114) with 300W HIPRO PSU (part# 5188-2625) ordered from HP. HP was responsible for the part change, not me.

System specs are at this link... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00213797&lc=en&dlc=fe&cc=us&product=426502〈=fe#N346

***UPDATE*** 6/26/09 11:52am
    Now I'm thinking it's definitely a hardware problem. Slept on it, woke up, and tried to power on again. Computer came on, clicked start windows normally. Made it through the XP boot screen all the way to login. Logged in with password and it started to load... then shut itself off again. The only other thing happening that I've noticed is that all of my fans come on and stay on the whole time. Usually the case fan doesn't run constantly and only kicks on when I'm running programs that soak up a lot of resources (Photoshop and the like).

2. Hughv

Hughv

What were the original symptoms that led to the replacement?
    Double-check the complete PS install, especially looking for peripheral connections that may have been disturbed.
    It's always possible the new PS is bad, of course.

3. peck1234

peck1234

also it could be the motherboard battery has done dead...

right?

4. Compiler

Compiler

HP replaced the PSU for you? And they gave you back a dead computer?

There is a chance the previous PSU had corrupted the data on your HD.

5. adp98408

adp98408 Thread Starter

No, I ordered the original part and HP sent me this one. I did the install myself.

There really were no symptoms before it died. I went to turn it on one day, nothing happened. Had the power supply checked and it was no good, so I ordered a new one and replaced it. It sat unplugged for about 2 months, if that means anything.

6. Compiler

Compiler

If your HP worked just fine before the day the PSU died, then its easily possible that the PSU has damaged your HD or computer.

If there is memory or mobo problems, it can prevent Windows from booting up and it'll be stuck in a loop.

It took HP 2 months to send you a new PSU? If this PC was under warranty, a tech should have looked at the computer to check for additional problems.

When PSUs die, they can take out the computer. They are NOT supposed to and generally do a good job not doing it... but it happens.

7. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    If the PSU died while the PC was on, it could easily have corrupted Windows files. What, specifically, happens when you try the Recovery disk?

8. adp98408

adp98408 Thread Starter

No, it took me two months to order it due to lack of $$$. The part came within 48 hours of ordering it. The warranty expired a long time ago. Purchased the computer in 2005

9. adp98408

adp98408 Thread Starter

Thank you for your help everyone. The problem was with the heat sink. Took it off, cleaned it, put a new coat of Arctic5 on it, and now it's working beautifully. Thank you for your comments though!

10. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    May all your problems be resolved as simply! ;-)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/838297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice