1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I should have never clicked.....

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Have-no-clue, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Have-no-clue

Have-no-clue Thread Starter

I have windows 7. I have a Modem via my Internet provider. I also have a Belkin wireless to use for Blu-Ray...So I just got the PC yesterday, and everything seemed fine and then I got warning that someone was trying to connect to my internet, so I went into the "network" part of my windows and did something I know I shouldnt have....I tried to make it more secure, and in the process blocked my daughters laptop from my network.....Now I have no clue how to fix it and put things back to the way they were....I have no clue about computers, and am afraid to do any more damage....:eek:
    I would appreciate any suggestions, Thank You....................

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I understand very little of what you said except that a laptop is blocked from whatever your network is.

Assuming the "Belkin wireless" is a router the following should get you going ...

Reset the router to factory default settings.
    Unplug the modem and router and shutdown computers.
    Connect the modem to the router's WAN (modem, internet) port and connect a computer to a router LAN port.
    Plug in modem. Plug in router. Boot computer.
    If you have other than a dynamic connection for your ISP (e.g., a DSL service that requires PPPoE and account/password) make the necessary changes to the router's WAN configuration.

This should give you internet access on the computer, and you can then configure the wireless network as desired, change the router's login password, etc. If you don't have internet access at this point please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. Have-no-clue

Have-no-clue Thread Starter

Thank you so much this worked......

Reset the router to factory default settings.
    Unplug the modem and router and shutdown computers.
    Connect the modem to the router's WAN (modem, internet) port and connect a computer to a router LAN port.
    Plug in modem. Plug in router. Boot computer.
    If you have other than a dynamic connection for your ISP (e.g., a [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]DSL [COLOR=green !important]service[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] that requires PPPoE and account/password) make the necessary changes to the router's WAN configuration.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice