1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I think I did something wrong, but I don't know what

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by nDelavesha, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nDelavesha

nDelavesha Thread Starter

My Strange Problem:

I wanted to make a backup of various files and so forth on my computer, so I bought a CD-RW, an item I�ve never used before. I understood, however, that CD-RWs must be formatted before use.

My computer came with a program called InCD which was supposed to automatically detect and format empty CD-RWs as soon as they are inserted. However, when I inserted the my new CD-RW, nothing happened. After trying this a few times I remembered that the fellow who sold me my computer has recently mentioned that InCD had compatibility problems with the latest XP service-pack (SP 2). Guessing this might be part of the problem I surfed into the Ahead Nero web page (InCD is a Nero program) and downloaded the latest updated version of Nero (6.6, I believe). In order to install the upgrade I was required to remove the old version (using the XP control panel), and I took the opportunity to remove InCD as well.

So far everything seemed peachy keen. I burned a backup using Nero, did some other stuff, and then, just before closing down for the evening, decided to restart my computer to make sure that everything was in order.

There are a few programs on my computer that generally start up with Windows, among them Zone Alarm, Norton, and a couple of others (Intel Pro, I think, and some sort of sound utility, along with InCD, which I had removed). To my surprise, none of those programs started up, and my systems tray (lower right hand side of the screen) was emptied of everything except for the little Windows sound icon.

I have a downloaded utility called StartUp ControlPanel that allows me to monitor the Registry Keys associated with programs that autostart on my computer, and it was virtually wiped clean. (For what it�s worth, I also have a utility called Startup Monitor, that notifies me when a new application wants to install an autostart program. It notified me that Nero wanted to, and I declined the offer, so that particular program was not activated.)

Fixing Zone Alarm proved easy enough � I simply re-checked the �start up with Windows� box in the Preferences tab � but Norton appears to have gone down for good. I�ve tried trouble-shooting at the Norton support site to no avail. Norton is suffering from a fairly common problem � AutoProtect is toggled off, and won�t toggle on, and Emal Scanning is reads �Error.� I tried following the instructions at Symntec support, but for some reason their online virus scanner can�t access my computer. In addition, ccApp is gone � poof! � from the AutoStart tab under Msconfig. According to the site this would indicate that Norton was unsuccessfully installed on my computer, but since it worked just fine yesterday, I�m wondering � what the hell have I done?

For what it�s worth I�ve also tried rolling back to a previous configuration of XP, but for some reason can�t do that either (probably because of the Nero upgrade).

Does anyone out there have in advice, suggestions, or explanations of what I might have done, how serious it is, if I need to fix it, and if so, how?

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

3. nDelavesha

telecom:

I used the "restore Windows to a previous configuration" tool under the accessories menu in the start menu.

I have to apologize because my computer is in Swedish and I'm not sure if I'm translating precisely. The tab is called "systemåterställning" on my menu, but you surely know it, it's a standard XP utility. I think "configuration" is right. I'll try to double check.

4. telecom69

Sounds right its called System Restore ...what did it say when you tried to do the restore ?

5. telecom69

Has Norton and zone alarm worked OK since you installed SP2?

6. nDelavesha

Yes, without the slightest problem.

7. nDelavesha

Oh, sorry, missed your first query.

System Restore -- exactly!

I said simply something like, "Windows cannot restore to the earlier point. Select a different one. No changes have been implemented on your computer."

I tried to restore several times, going back even a couple of days, to no avail.

8. telecom69

OK do you have the windows CD that came with the computer? if so we could try doing a repair ....

About the system restore try this below it wont help in this case but it will probably make sure its working ok ...

If you are running Windows XP Home and after going thru the System Restore process, a message stating "Cannot restore the computer to an earlier restore point, no changes have been made to your computer" pops up, try the procedure listed below to restore its functionality.

Right click [My Computer] [Properties] then click on System Restore tab.
    Put a check in the box for Disable Restore on all drives.
    Click apply, then Reboot your PC.
    After the system reboots, navigate to the System Restore tab and turn it back on. Click apply.
    Navigate to [System Tools] [Restore...] and choose [Create a Restore Point]
    Provide a name for the new restore point.
    Try and restore the new point just created. It should work properly.

9. nDelavesha

telecom:

In answer to your query, I do have my windows CD.

Thanks very, very for your help. Unfortunately I have to break off and go to work for a few hours.

I should be back in about six-seven hours. I'll try your suggestion and post again as soon as I get the chance.

Thanks again.

10. telecom69

Glad you have that CD, OK will have a look out for you tonight,have a good day

11. nDelavesha

telecom:

Okay, I’m back.

I’ve restarted and tested System Restore, and it seems to work now. I’m still having the same problem with Norton, though.

Before attempting any repairs I’m wondering if you – or anyone else out there, for that matter – have an explanation, based on my OP, as to what might have occurred. I’m at a loss, myself, and the whole thing seems very mysterious to me.

My computer seems to work fine (except for Norton). It’s just that its been my experience that seemingly innocuous computer glitches can actually be pretty serious once one starts checking the system. In a way the problem has been a blessing in disguise because I’ve wanted to disable a number of these start-up programs from the very beginning, but simply haven’t been able to figure out how. On the other hand, I can’t figure out why these programs suddenly disappeared (or changed their settings), and I’m particularly dumbfounded by the problem with Norton. What happened to ccApp?

According to the Symntec webpage, if ccApp doesn’t appear in the “autostart” tab under Msconfig, then this indicates that Norton hasn’t been installed correctly. But before I rebooted my computer and the problem first appeared, Norton was installed and running without a problem.

Could I have downloaded a virus that disables Norton?

12. gsmitheman

gsmitheman

When I was missing ccapp or the other process that is required I would uninstall and reinstall Norton and solve the problem.

I got tired of occasional problems of this type and a month of nags each year to cough up more money for continued virus defintions. I have switched all my machines to the free AVG. It just runs. It has pointed out two viruses but didn't remove them. Panda active scan (online) removed them for me.

You might consider it now or when your definitions are up for renewal (at renewal is the way I did it on each machine).

13. telecom69

Yes its quite possible you downloaded something that has upset Norton go here and do an online scan http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp to see if anything shows up ....for what its worth if I were in this position I would get rid of Norton altogether,I dont like their products,and install the very well known and respected free AVG,that is available here http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 I have used it for years with no problems whatsoever,and it updates almost daily,what more can you ask? but thats just my opinion,I will see what you think ....

Should you feel that you might want to post a hijack log I will happily look through it for you to see what might be lurking in there,you can get the latest version here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html if you do decide to do this be aware you have to download it to its own folder in somewhere like My Documents for example (important) ...I await your reply ....

14. nDelavesha

Hello, telecom, and good morning!

I'll be back to post a hijack log momentarily (I've got the latest version).

I hear from many quarters that Norton ain't worth spit. Avast has also been recommended to me. Which is better, do you think?

15. nDelavesha

Here ya go:
    You’ll note that I have 20 “running processes” at the moment. Compare to this logfile (abbreviated), which I took before the event:

I’ve lost seven “running processes:”

C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
    C:\Program\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\Program\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE

I can explain a couple of them. I uninstalled InCD. I’ve used Startup Control Panel to deactivate C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe and C:\Program\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE. Zone Alarm was deactivated but I reactivated it. Still don’t know what happened to the rest.

I’ll zip over now and try an online scan (I tried at Symntec already but it didn’t work).

See you in a few.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice