1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I think my cpu is damaged

Discussion in 'Games' started by matthewjk95, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matthewjk95

matthewjk95 Thread Starter

how do i check for problems with my cpu? it doesnt seem to be working properly. It's an intel i5 2500K

2. wiley8425

wiley8425

3. matthewjk95

it seems to be excessively slow, even just using media software or the internet
    the cpu reaches 92 degrees while booting be then drops to 72 when in normal use, it raises to about 80 when playing games, but i can't do that currently because it's too slow, i'll check out the software and get back to you, thnx :)

4. matthewjk95

no errors had occurred when i used Hot CPU Tester

5. Tanis

Tanis Shane

Is this a factory built PC or a self build?

I would consider those temps to be a bit on the high side, especially if you are running at stock speeds.

6. matthewjk95

it's a self build

7. Jay27

Jay27

Yeah, I would consider that hot.....

Anything over 65 would worry me even though I know my processor has a higher temp rating than that...

Right now I'm running 45, never gone over 66 and that was keeping it on two days gaming so I turned it of...

So I would surely be concerned with those temperatures, IMO. O_O

8. Tanis

Tanis Shane

Can you give us the full specs, the info in your profile isn't specific enough and isn't complete.

What is the exact graphics card?
    What is the exact make, model and wattage of the power supply?
    What are the rest of your system temperatures like? (use HWMonitor to get an overview).

Also, it's better to keep problems in one thread so anyone reading can see what has been tried previously and you don't get the same questions asked over and over. http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1034281-i-think-my-cpu-damaged.html

9. matthewjk95

the graphics card is a saphire radeon HD 6950, psu is a corsair tx 850
    motherboard is 56 degrees, SSD Kingston is 29, WD HDD is 31, and graphics card is 39

10. Jay27

Jay27

What kind of cooling did you put in it?

All your fans running fine?

11. matthewjk95

just the stock cpu fan, the case came with to front fans and a rear fan and they are all working fine i think. the CPU fan runs at 2033 rpm and the rear fan runs at 1221 rpm, the front two dont seem to detect but they are running

12. Jay27

Jay27

Still seems way high, assuming we are talking Celsius....

Personally, even though I didn't build mine I had them replace all stock fans with decent quality ones and added liquid cooling. Ended up with 4 decent 120mm fans, kept the stock 80 but yea....

Plus, a decent fan replacement isn't too bad price wise unless you go top of the line.... assuming that's the problem.

Could be a damaged computer but I would personally replace my cooling system first. You don't want stock fans/cooling a good custom machine.

13. Tanis

Tanis Shane

There is nothing at all wrong with stock cooling if you are running at stock speeds, they are perfectly good at keeping the CPU temps down. Buying aftermarket coolers is a totally unecessary expense unless you are over clocking or if you have particularly poor airflow due to bad case design.

Based on the other temps you have given I would say that you case airflow is OK as other components are at good, low temps (GPU is a good indicator). So, I would initially look at reapplying thermal paste to the CPU, you have have too much / too little paste on it, both of which will reduce the cooling efficiency. What thermal paste did you use?

14. matthewjk95

ok, makes sense, thanx

15. Jay27

Jay27

Ah, good point.

Dunno why I didn't think of that first as well....

Guess when matt mentioned games and self built I thought, gaming computer, and made assumptions. O_0. Although, I would definitely go with Tanis advice first. ^^

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1034280