1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I wan't more fps

Discussion in 'Games' started by the_man550, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. the_man550

the_man550 Thread Starter

Hi there

My new system is up and running:
    Q6600
    8800gtx 612, 1350, 2000
    4gb 800mhz 5-5-5-18 (I know this is bad, I didn't get the ones I ordered.
    dual vista ultimate 64bit and xp pro 32bit

I just want to see how high I can get while playing games such as half life 2 lost coast, but the fps is locked @ 60.

I've tried to turn vertical sync on (vsync) in the nvidia thingy, but still no change (how do I change this?)

Thanks 4 all the help I can get =)

2. McTimson

McTimson

You want to turn vsync off if you want to go higher than 60FPS. Most monitors have a refresh rate of 60Hz, which is why vsync locks it at 60FPS. Turning it off allows the card to produce more than 60FPS, even though your eyes won't actually be able to tell the difference, because the monitor is only going at 60Hz anyway. Make sure you turn vsync off within HL2 itself, not just the nVidia control panel.

3. the_man550

Thank you, that gave another 3-500% =)

4. tony oh

tony oh

Just curious but why is "4gb 800mhz 5-5-5-18" bad?

Is it the 18 - tras?

Is that slow?

I have the same timings that's why I'm asking...although I can easily switch it to 5-5-5-12 in bios and it still runs fine.

5. McTimson

McTimson

Yea, it's not exactly 'bad'...you really won't notice much real-world difference from better RAM timings. Benchmarks will be able to show you something, but it really won't affect overall gameplay. Better timings are faster, but on some RAM, they require more voltage, which will require more output from the power supply. Just something to think about if your power supply isn't a great quality or something.

6. the_man550

Well, ok, it's unfair to call it a "bad" ram, but it's not as good as the ones I ordered.

And according to some testing the RAM is bottlenecking my system with at least 20%

I'm getting the corsair dominators with built in fans mohaha :p

I have the most expensive 1000W powersupply I could find so it's not really a problem :p And it had very nice reviews of course. (I take 29/30 as good)

7. McTimson

McTimson

Are you sure that the RAM is set up at the proper speed? I find it very hard to believe that RAM timings could bottleneck a system that much. 800MHz RAM is plenty, are you sure you have the CPU:RAM FSB dividers set properly?

What testing are you doing that showed it was being held back by 20%?

8. the_man550

I haven't made sure that anything is correct, the only thing I know is that I've paid for a memory that's 3 times more expensive and has better scores.

used the vista experience or whatever it's called (the one that you get when you buy it)
    All my other parts were at 5.9, which is the highest you can get, but the RAM was at 5.0, so it's bottlenecking with _at least_ 15-20%

Thanks for the help btw :p

9. McTimson

McTimson

I guess in theory then, that might be true, but in practice, I doubt you'll notice a difference with the new RAM. That's one of the drawbacks of using benchmarks as ways of testing your system...what's the point of having a machine that is technically faster than another if it performs exactly the same once you play a game?

If you're going to compare with benchmarks though, then I do suggest using something other than the Vista experience thing...if you want to see how much faster your system becomes, then I would get a real benchmarking program, and compare the results before and after the RAM.

And if you REALLY want to put your system to work, you should check out [email protected], the links are in my sig ;)

10. the_man550

@ one of the reviews I checked the writer said that he noticed difference between 1066ghz with 5-5-5-15 and 800 5-5-5-12 even though most of the scores were about the same, so I dunno...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice