Solved: I want to alter my Boot.ini...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mothergoose729

[boot loader]
timeout=30
(n)default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS.0(n)
[operating systems]
(n)multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect(n)
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Windows="Windows XP Bootlogo" /fastdetect /KERNEL=ntosboot.exe

Right now when I boot, I choose between three identical operating system and I want to get it down to just one. Those are the changes I want to make, with everything marked on either side by "thumbs down" being deleted. Think is will give me some problems? I am wary because the last time I altered my boot.ini I couldn't get my operating system to boot (scary!).

In relation to that I had to install two version of windows xp on one partition at one point (see above). I deleted the duplicate windows folder and ran a registry cleaner. I am hoping with the alteration of the boot.ini the last remnants of the redundant install will be gone. Is there more I will have to do?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating system]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

mothergoose729

I copied and pasted. Booted up fine, thank you. One problem though, now it has two (default) windows xp professionals. I just want one. How do I get it to just read the one and autoboot? Sorry, I'm kinda anal about these things.

Also, is there likely to be any more remnants of my second xp install?

I copied and pasted. Booted up fine, thank you. One problem though, now it has two (default) windows xp professionals. I just want one. How do I get it to just read the one and autoboot? Sorry, I'm kinda anal about these things.

Also, is there likely to be any more remnants of my second xp install?
Where there is (2) edit it with (1). There should no remnants.

go to Start <> run <> type msconfig <> click ok <> click on the boot.ini tab <> click check all boot paths <> follow prompts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online