1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I want to upgrade my ram...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rayningtigress, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rayningtigress

rayningtigress Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2 OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7 Processor Count: 8 RAM: 8139 Mb Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) HD Graphics, -250 Mb Hard Drives: C: Total - 700440 MB, Free - 59318 MB; D: Total - 715401 MB, Free - 5201 MB; E: Total - 14659 MB, Free - 1630 MB; G: Total - 98 MB, Free - 84 MB; Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 165A Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled So my computer can stocked with *gb of ram but its running a lil slow for my tastes and its been running really hot in the past year. I want to up grade my ram and im looking at getting http://www.amazon.com/PC3-12800-DDR...&keywords=hp+pavilion+dv7+i7-2630QM+16+gb+ram. I know It's not nessecary to do 16gb. but I dont want to have to upgrade again. im just curious if I'm able to put this one in my laptop or if there is a limit and if someone could point me in a better direction that would be awesome.

2. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

3. rayningtigress

How do I find the specific model name?

4. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

It should be on a sticker on the side or bottom of the computer. If this is a custom build you can use the motherboard.

5. rayningtigress

unfortunately my poor laptop is going on 4 years old and the stickers arent were they should be anymore. maybe its just time for a new computer and just give this one to the boyfriend...

6. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

Before you give up try going the the control panel and click on System.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Kaleen:

Increasing the amount of RAM in that laptop from 8 GB to 16 GB is not going to improve speed or performance at all and is going to be a big waste of money.

I doubt if even 4 GB is being used during most of your computing activities.

--------------------------------------------------------

8. trogdo

trogdo

I second that motion, 8gb is plenty. Getting an SSD for your system drive is a better option.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice