1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I want to wipe / reformat my laptop please, not fix it

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ouchi, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ouchi

ouchi Thread Starter

Hi all

I want to completely wipe my laptop as I am selling it, so naturally dont want a trace of myself or existing progs on it

It was suggested to me that the W7 installation disc would give me the option but it does not seem to, so can someone please walk me through how to wipe the laptop compeltely?

Many thanks :)

2. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

3. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

whats the make and exact model of the laptop ?

you may have a recovery partition or supplied / made recovery DVD/CDs

4. pooveyhead

pooveyhead

In order to totally wipe the hard drive as you suggested, you'll need to 'zero' the drive, or overwrite every sector with zeroes. DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke: www.dban.org) is a great free option that does just this...simply burn the .iso file to a DVD (recommend Imgburn for that job: http://www.imgburn.com/) and then boot your computer from the DVD and type 'autonuke' when prompted. You will completely erase all data from the drive by using this option, so be forewarned. You can then decide whether to re-install Windows or go with a free Linux distro (www.ubuntu.com recommended).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064688