1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I want w7 to be like XP

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by y2k1, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. y2k1

y2k1 Thread Starter

Ok few things that are <making me mad>:

1. I want windows that i move to the right to NOT maximize.
    2. I want an XP taskbar where all the applications are in rectangles not being stored under a short cut

2. Saifee

Saifee

Simply download xp then, what made you move to win 7.

3. y2k1

y2k1 Thread Starter

Thats your first post? nice thanks that really helped my situation.

4. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    y2k1 asked a specific question which asks how to have W7 have the appearance of XP, if I read him/her right. I suggest that you limit your reponses to actually helping them, not quizzing them.

Constructive posts, only, please.

5. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    And y2k1, don't post semi-disguised profanity in order to circumvent the board censors. I have edited your post and I hope my substitution faithfully represents your feelings. ;)

6. Saifee

Saifee

Appologies.

the question says this : I want w7 to be like XP

from the experience i have , an xp can have a transformation to win 7 but not vice verse.

7. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Is this anything like what you're after?
    "Windows 7 has several built-in tools to help with program compatibility and Windows XP programs should be installed directly on Windows 7. Windows XP Mode runs many older Windows XP productivity programs and that are not natively compatible with Windows 7, thus helping realize cost savings and reduce possible operational downtime by extending the life of existing software. Visit the Windows 7 Compatibility Center to find software that works with Windows 7."
    From here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Richard

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    ??? My windows maximize when I jam them against the top; but to the right??? Is this just any movement to the right will cause one of your windows to maximize?

I'm having trouble understanding that one. Do you possibly mean that you want "Taskbar buttons:" set to 'Never Combine' instead of the default 'Always combine, hide labels'? If, by any chance, that's what you want change it: right click on an empty part of the taskbar - Properties - Taskbar tab.

I'll try to help if I can, but I actually more or less agree with Saifee; give Windows 7 a chance and you'll begin to appreciate most of the differences from XP or else go back to XP. :)

9. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    I'm not sure about the actual situation here but I think there is no other option than W7 if one is buying a new computer. I didn't see the thread starter say he upgraded to W7. If one buys a new computer with W7 and dislikes it, it is probably beyond most people's ability to downgrade to XP.

But I agree with TerryNet in that the thread starter is not being 100% clear on his intentions.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In my defense, although I know I will get nowhere debating you, "go back to XP" can mean buying a new netbook with XP pre-installed or buying a used desktop or laptop with XP. :) I "go back to XP" by booting my Dell a few times a month; makes me appreciate Windows 7 more.

11. Hughv

Hughv

I'd start by turning off Aero effects.
    Rt-click Computer/Properties/Performance/Adjust for best.
    The other posters are "right". Win7 is a far superior OS and a little adjusting and tweaking will be to your benefit.
    http://www.tweakwin7.com/

12. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

If you are talking about the taskbar. Read the lines below to make it similar to that of XP.

Right click the taskbar and choose Properties. Click the check-box for 'Use Small Icons'..

Now, Change the taskbar buttons from Always combine TO hide labels to Never combine..

Now, right click on all the icons in the taskbar and choose 'Unpin this program from the taskbar'

Now, hit Apply and OK. The taskbar should have an uncanny resemblance to that of XP.

13. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Hmmm, and I'm the exact opposite :) though of course all my XP systems are modified quite a bit...stock is not as purdy as 7 but I miss the selection space for multiple sequential mouse gester sweeps in an Open window (seems to be an engineering oversight since there is a little free space in a regular window), I dearly miss the Explorer bar-Quick tasks/locations and its not 7's fault (damm MS pencil pushers I think) but RDP is complete crap unless there's an Ultimate or Enterprise edition at the other end and Windows 7 handling the RDP...otherwise basic theme...my modified XP RDPs come through in all thier glory!! Multitask reserve is too high for me as well..when I start some tasks, I want them to fully occupy the processor, not sit around, thirty or fourty percent idle waiting for something else requiring processor time to start up. There's more that I would classify as inconsequential, part of the growing pains of a new OS.

For the OP, I don't suppose you have Win 7 Pro or above? If so, as mentioned XP Mode is a pretty viable way to go now if the system is fast, you'll still notice some slowdown most likely but you can do just about everything in XP Mode except anything that requres intensive graphics support (gaming) or incorporating a non-USB connected device (other than DVD and Floppy drive).

For the two points specifically;
    My best guess for number 2 is also to turn off the combine option; put it to only when taskbar is full or never.
    For number 1 try the following; go to Control Panel>Ease of Access Center>Make the mouse easier to use>Make it easier to manage windows section and put a tic in the selection box for Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen.

Hope that helps said the man with the plain Jane basic theme 7 through RDP on a XP system while right beside it on the taskbar sits a RDP connection to a XP system with aero glass, aero peek (though its only Vista style--can't click on the peek) and aero snap! (y)

14. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

If you don't want your Windows to stick up to the right (Aero) when you move them, just use the AERO basic theme. It won't happen in that case. :)

Windows 7 can EASILY mimic XP. Some posters were wrong.

15. skeeter5000

skeeter5000

Not to steal your thread.

I just bought this computer, it has Windows7. I don't like it at all.

I miss how moving and changing files worked in XP. This new OS is not better in my opinion.

This is also the 64 bit system, now my scanner program will not work on this computer. Will have
    to buy new.

I miss XP.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!