1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: i686 versions?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by mconnelly, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mconnelly

mconnelly Thread Starter

I have an Acer Aspire 3690 laptop that originally came with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. I had an error message that would not let me log into Windows and, I do have the product key but, I don't have the recovery disks nor can I find an .iso to download. My preferred solution is to reinstall Windows so, if anyone has an .iso that would be great. Otherwise, I am going with Linux.

Here's the issue: I need a distro that is extremely user friendly. I am talking Windows user friendly. The distro needs to be compatible with an i686 cpu. I did some research and saw that Mint 17 is compatible but, the .iso only booted to the first Linux Mint title screen and no further.

Once I find the OS I will be selling this machine. Hence the need for an easily navigated operating system. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

2. DVOM

DVOM

When you downloaded the Mint ISO, did you check the md5 sum? Those large ISO files can easily be corrupted and an md5 check would ensure you got the clean file. When I used Windows I used Hashcalc to check the md5.

http://www.slavasoft.com/hashcalc/

3. mconnelly

mconnelly Thread Starter

What do I look for to ensure a clean file? I'm not well versed in sums.

4. DVOM

DVOM

If you're using Windows, download the Hashcalc program and from the program navigate to your ISO file. It'll take 10-15 seconds and will give you a hash with about 30 characters.

LinuxMint gives you the correct md5 sum on the download page of each different ISO. I personally only look at the first 3 and last 3 characters. If those are correct then you're good to go.

Edit: If the hash is not correct then you've got to download it again. I've found Downthemall in Firefox and torrents generally get you a clean ISO.

5. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

My suggestion, a lightweight non pae puppy linux distro.

6. sixpack

sixpack

You didn't say which Mint you have... If you have "Qiana" then it requires a PAE processor, if you have "Mate" which is for a Non-PAE processor which is probable what your processor is then you should be fine, although there is still no guarantee that it will run on that ACER.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I'll second Puppy if you are going with a lightweight Linux.
    I use it and you can get support here.

8. itsnotbroken

itsnotbroken

I love Puppy.
    Will boot anything, and even wifi works. Permanent install is kinda weird.

I found an old HP Laptop in 2008 (P4 2.4Ghz, Win XP) left in a rental. Only 512 M RAM. Battery dead, only runs on the adapter. I think this laptop dates from 2005/2006. Did a dual-boot with Lubuntu somewhere around 2010 after windows got too slow. We only use it in the maintenance shop 4x a year for inventory. Corporate sends an excel file, we count parts in Gnumeric & then send the file back. I gotta admit it's kinda slow, but it's better than paper & they aren't going to buy laptops to count nuts & bolts on a maintenance truck.

Hate to ask for my first post, but what do you think you're going to get for your 10 year old laptop?

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Fair question which the OP needs to answer himself.

10. mconnelly

mconnelly Thread Starter

I got $50 for it. It didn't cost me anything but time so...I win!

11. mconnelly

mconnelly Thread Starter

I take that back. My first offer went off the table but, yesterday I got an offer of $75 which is what my starting asking price was. I took it and ran like hell! :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice