1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ibm 600x needs date boot resetting when off ac power despite full battery cha

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fv104, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fv104

fv104 Thread Starter

Apologies for this enigmatic title but I couldn't find any other way to describe this strange behavior. So each time I unplug the laptop from ac power after shutting it down and though the battery has full power (and can retain good charging time) when I switch it on after a little while, let's say over 30 minutes after having shut it down, I always stumble on the date and time rebooting screen ( sorry I don't know what to call this exactly).

Thanks for help.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You need a new battery. The CMOS battery keeps the date and BIOS settings. Your manual may tell you where it is located.

3. fv104

fv104 Thread Starter

So though it's still retaining quite a decent length of time while the computer is on, you think that it is not enough or faulty?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Those little button batteries can act funny sometimes. They are not rechargeable, but sometimes when they are near dead, they can take a small charge when the machine is running, just enough to make you think all is well. And the BIOS memory can be maintained by another power source when the machine is on, too, so it will only lose its memory when off for a while.

I'd start with a new battery to see if that is the problem.

5. fv104

fv104 Thread Starter

Thanks. Is that date and time resetting screen called BIOS?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's part of it, yes. (BIOS = Basic Input/Output System)

If you post the make and model, someone may know exactly where that battery is located.

7. fv104

fv104 Thread Starter

you mean where the battery is located on the laptop?

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    This manual is for your 600X :-

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=migr-4dgntq

It shows how to get to the Cmos battery on page 38.

That's the battery Elvandil was referring to, it's used to power the memory where the Bios settings are stored (including date and time) when the laptop is switched off.

It will probably have an ID code on it, you need to get the exact same battery to replace it with.

9. fv104

fv104 Thread Starter

Brilliant link thanks, so roughly said, on top of the normal main battery, there's another one doing the job you mentioned? Gosh I never suspected this cause never heard of it before. Techguy is a great site for dummies like me. I'm learning plenty of things. But between you and I, this second battery thing is a complete freak. I'll look into the book of the laptop to see if there are other "hidden" things like this. Do all computers have this second battery fitted in or is just certain models?

Looking into the book helped me to understand clearly what it is, I would have guessed before if someone had described it to me as a lithium battery.

Found it and ordered:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330718357026?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    As far as I know all computers, both Desktops and Laptops, have some sort of backup battery,

Sometimes it's called the RTC (Real Time Clock) battery because it keeps the computer's clock ticking when the main power is switched off.

There are rechargeable ones too, mostly in older laptops although some old Desktops used them too.

Welcome to the wonderful world of computers. ;)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1053161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice