1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] IBM Thinkpad Display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wallyhockey, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wallyhockey

wallyhockey Thread Starter

I have an old IBM 770 thinkpad that I reinstalled windows 98 on. My problem is that it does not recognize the monitor and will not le me chang to more than 16 colors or larger than 640 x 480 screen size. It worked in Win 95 what is going on here?

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Your system has a built in video display device that most likely does not have the correct drivers installed in order to function correctly so it is running in it default 16 color most likely at 640x480 resoultion. You need to go to Ibms web site and download the correct video device drivers for your system/operating system if you dont have the original IBM disk to pull them off of. I found the following page and part way down the page is a download for file named Vftpcw9x.exe which appears to be what you need. Download it, double click on it and try to install it. I would also read the one just below it as it relates to you driver/system.

http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/DSHY-3ZFU6Q.html

3. wallyhockey

wallyhockey Thread Starter

Worked great. Thanks!!!

4. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Glad it worked for you.

5. Shinew

Shinew

Paul, last year you helped this individual with this problem, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I'm also using a IBM 770 Laptop with Windows 98...........but the IBM download didn't fix it.
    Any suggestions on what to do next? I've already downloaded every update that IBM posts on its web page!

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Shinew, how did you go about installing the drivers? Once you downloaded them.

7. Shinew

Shinew

I tried both the "open immediately" method.........and then the "store to Desktop" method. In both cases they opened, and said it was a successful download. Bill

8. ~Candy~

Ok, go to the store to desktop file and double click on it.

9. Shinew

Shinew

Oh, did all that.......three times. It takes me thru all the right screens for installation........and sez it was a successful installation....but still doesn't allow me to change the color bits or the screen size.

10. ~Candy~

Did you reboot?

11. Shinew

Shinew

Yes, rebooted. I've done my fair share of downloads before, so why this isn't working is puzzling to me.

12. ~Candy~

How is the display adapter showing up in device manager?

Also, how does the monitor appear there as well?

13. Shinew

Shinew

The PCI Graphics Adapter(VGA) is "working properly" per the device manager.

14. ~Candy~

Ok, I think it should say something different. Let's do this, click on properties, then update driver....then point it to the location where you have unzipped your download. I downloaded it as well, and made a folder on my desktop. Do you see a bunch of trident entries in the folder?

15. Shinew

Shinew

Yep, I have Trid_d3d, Trid9811, and Trident.dat in my C drive, in my "drivers" folder.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!