1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Icon Conundrum

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by verbalista, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. verbalista

verbalista Thread Starter

Hi, experts! Well, this will sound a bit weird, but I want to convert my desktop icons into bird icons, to match my desk picture. I have an icon creating program (CoolIcons) and can make icons from image files, jpegs seem to work best. However, I want my icons to be made from images with transparent backgrounds, so my birds will seem as though they're sitting in the trees, not with boxes around them. I know how to use Photoshop, but the only way I've been able to create an image there with a transparent background is to put the bird by itself on a transparent background and save the image as a tiff with "preserve transparency" as my option while saving. However, when I try to take that image into my icon manager, the icon manager can't see it (probably because it's still layered). So, does anyone know how to get an image to have a transparent background that is NOT layered and can be made into an icon? I've seen icons with images that have transparent backgrounds and I know this can be done. Thanks! Shoshana

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Have you tried saving it as a .gif? They can have transparent backgrounds and be converted to .ico for use as an icon.

3. verbalista

Thanks, Longhair, I did try saving it as a .gif, every time I did that the transparent background filled itself in and became a white background! I made the background transparent two ways, first, I just cleared the background or used the "extract" filter to do so. Saving that made it fill back in. The other way was to start with a new document made from a transparent background and drag the object onto it. Neither worked.

4. -MaDcOw-

-MaDcOw-

If you post the images here I could have a go at it for you :)

5. lister

lister

For icons I export from PS as PNG & use Icon Sushi to create the icon libraries...

of course you could just download the free ICO import/export plugin for Photoshop!
    http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/

6. verbalista

Wow, Madcow, such a generous offer!!!
    I won't trouble you until I exhaust my own possibilities...first I'll try downloading the ico import/export for Photoshop, I don't have icon Sushi, but, if it turns out that I need it, I'll find it. *rubs hands together eagerly* thanks, Lister for your shining ideas and to you Madcow for your amazing kindness. What a great start to my New Year! Oh, and Happy New Year to you guys... Shoshana

7. verbalista

Lister, it worked! I can make all the icons I want, thank you sooo much. I'm marking this question SOLVED.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice