1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Icons not showing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Totalrod2, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Totalrod2

Totalrod2 Thread Starter

I'm sorry for posting so many questions here. But my Windows XP operating sytem isn't displaying icons when I download new items. Instead I have to right click > properties > change icon > OK. Instead of automatically installing the icon, it shows this:
    [​IMG]
    on the desktop. It displayed a similar image for virtually everything in the start menu too. This meant I had to install every single icon in the start bar menu manually! What is causing this? How can I fix it so it automatically displays icons for newly installed items?
    Bryan

2. seahawk83

seahawk83

you can try and download tweakui, its free from MS and in one of the items that can be "tweaked" is an option to rebuild icon cache
    This may help restore the proper icons

open app then click on last item on left "repair"
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakui.htm

3. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

4. Totalrod2

Totalrod2 Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I haven't done anything yet. I just thought I'd add this little sidenote:
    I removed those shortcut arrows from my desktop icons by adding "BAK" to "lnkfile" and "internetshortcut" (under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT). Is performing the repairs you mentioned going to restore those arrows? I removed them because I wanted a clean look.
    Bryan

5. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Bryan, I don't think it will but if it does there are fixes available if you need them.

Edited to add:
    Remove or modify the arrow used on shortcuts in Windows XP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/arrow.htm

Tufenuf

6. Totalrod2

Totalrod2 Thread Starter

I tried Shelliconfix. Unfortunately, it did not work. It only corrects a few of the icons. After looking over my entire system, I've noticed a vast majority of my icons have been replaced with that "generic" icon. Here's the window that popped up when I went to download TweakUI:
    [​IMG]
    (notice the generic icon). Hopefully TweakUI can correct this. I was just wondering, once I've downloaded it, where can it be found? I'm still looking for it.
    Bryan

7. Totalrod2

Totalrod2 Thread Starter

I found TweakUI. I tried all 3 of the things that were suggested here. None of them corrected the problem. Is there anything else I can try?
    Bryan

8. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Bryan, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 166 right colum and download the "Add Icon Cache Size to Folder Options/View" .reg file. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. This will give you 4 icon cache choices under the View tab in Folder Options. You can experiment with the choices starting with the smallest first. See if this corrects your problem.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

It's worth a try.

Edited to add: After changing the icon cache size in Folder Options>View tab make sure you click Apply/OK and restart your computer.

Tufenuf

9. Augie65

Augie65

You can also try this, it works sometimes.
    Right click the Desktop and select Properties.
    Appearance tab> Advanced button.
    In the Item: drop down, click Icon and
    change the number under Size: on the right. Remember this
    number
    , but change it and click OK, Apply and OK.
    Then go back and reset the number to the original.

10. Totalrod2

Totalrod2 Thread Starter

I just tried that little trick Augie65 suggested. Also tried the method from Kellys-Korner. But I'm still plagued with those generic icons.:(
    I'm almost tempted to do a system restore, (to yesterday) but I think this will undo all the drivers and everything I've installed since, won't it? My computer is new and I've done everything from scratch. Most of the software/work has been done since my last restore point. Is there other way of doing this without losing everything? Perhaps I can use my XP disk to repair the icons? It's a Windows XP SP2 upgrade disk.
    Bryan

11. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Bryan, Did you try all 4 of the max iconcache sizes in Folder Options>View tab? Have you recently installed any sort of icon or desktop type software?

Tufenuf

12. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Bryan, Can you undo that registry change you performed.? Did you make a backup of the registry key you edited. Now that you have other ways of removing those shortcut arrows (Tweak UI & the Remove or modify the arrow used on shortcuts in Windows XP link I previously posted) you don't need that reg change you made.

Tufenuf

13. Totalrod2

Totalrod2 Thread Starter

Yes, I did try all 4 options. And yes, I did download some icon software, BUT it wasn't what I wanted, so I decided not to use it (and removed it entirely from the registry). Here's my events log from "system restore". What a way to spend my vacation!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Bryan

14. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Bryan, The reason I asked about programs such as Microangelo is because I recall someone else had similar icon problems some time ago on another forum and I can't recall the solution. I believe after they uninstalled it their icon problem disappeared. I've seen some people delete the iconcache.db file(s) which is a hidden file but I've never had to do this so I can't recommend doing this. You can try it if you wish to.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+delete+iconcache.db+file&btnG=Search

I hope someone can come up with a solution but I'm out of ideas.

Tufenuf

15. devil_himself

devil_himself

Greetings Totalrod2

Can You Tell Us All The "File Types" Which Are Affected By This

like shortcuts(.lnk) , executable(.exe) ...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/710972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice