1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ICS Problem with using crossover cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pickelsaretasty, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pickelsaretasty

pickelsaretasty Thread Starter

Ok here's my set up:

I have pc 1 and pc 2.

pc 1 is connected to the internet (via modem) and has two ethernet cards.
    pc 2 is connected to the crossover cable which connects into the 2nd ethernet card on pc 1

Both computers and all the connections are configured for:
    NetBEUI
    Client for Microsoft
    Internet Protocol
    Printer and File Sharing
    and Qos Scheduling

pc 1 connection 1 is the internet (modem)
    pc 1 connection 2 is the crossover cable
    pc 2 connection 3 is the crossover cable

connection 1 is set up for Internet Sharing and obtain addresses automatically
    connection 2 is set up for 192.168.0.1
    connection 3 is set up for obtain addresses automatically

Problem:
    My internet works fine on pc 1 up until the point where I enable "Internet Sharing."
    As soon as an ip adress is obtained for the 2nd connection (crossover connection) the internet stops working on pc 1. (pc 2 never has had the internet work on it).

Whats funny is that on pc 2, all the files are shared and pc 1 shows up as an "Internet Gateway" and connected at 100kb/s. So the file sharing works, but the internet does not work when I try to share it.

Another funny thing is that before I set up any of the connections if I open a website and go to google, after I set up ICS, I can search anything on google and it still works. But if I try and go to another page or another website aside from google, it doesn't work.

I have tried using many different set up guides to setting up my connection, but none have been so far with internet sharing. I have even restarted my computer through out the steps and that hasn't worked either. Oh and by the way. I have a router, but it turns off every hour (i think it overheats) [it's a D-link Model: DI 524], and that is why I'm trying to use crossover connection because I want something more reliable that doesn't cost anything.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated :)

2. jackdw

jackdw

I used to have this kind of network.
    Manually set up the IP addresses first. Set computer one (with internet) to 192.168.0.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0.
    Then on PC2, 192.168.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0 and default gateway and DNS server to 192.168.0.1.

See how that works out.

3. gurutech

gurutech

Also turn off NetBeui - it's not used anymore, and will create unnecessary network traffic.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If your modem is a modem/router combo with LAN subnet 192.168.0.x you will not be able to use ICS ('cause you'll get what you described above) until/unless you change the router to another subnet; e.g., 192.168.1.x.

If this is what you have, buy an inexpensive switch and ditch ICS.

5. pickelsaretasty

pickelsaretasty Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I ended up just buying a new router, its a linksys, so hopefully it will work better.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice